Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@uncfnp the issue is that it is a very fine line to tread without veering into victim blaming. i'm not holding my breath that padi does anything useful and depending on the island in question that goes the same for the local PD.

@tridacna the issue is that just reporting is unlikely to get the results that are needed. maybe i'm a cynic, but I fully expect that PADI will say some BS that they couldn't find enough evidence and sweep it under the rug and tripadvisor will just scrub the bad review. then in a few more months we'll get another thread from the next victim. and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg for what is happening.

@tridacna the issue is that just reporting is unlikely to get the results that are needed. maybe i'm a cynic, but I fully expect that PADI will say some BS that they couldn't find enough evidence and sweep it under the rug and tripadvisor will just scrub the bad review. then in a few more months we'll get another thread from the next victim. and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg for what is happening.
Which is why the OP needs to do a report on Tripadvisor.

I don't disagree with you. At least, the OP has established a documented complaint with PADI. If this is the first such complaint, then there is a possibility of what you say. At most, they'll probably be able to interview the OP, the instructor, and possibly the third individual mentioned. They may not find enough evidence on this first instance. However, if they get additional complaints (or already have) then this becomes a lot harder to sweep under the rug, as they would be opening themselves up to action at that point for allowing a known offender to continue training under the PADI flag.

You were sexually assaulted by this creep. File a police report as soon as possible. And email and CALL THE AGENCY! Don't email or message them. Call them and tell them you are filing a police report.
They may try to discourage you from doing that. Don't let them. If possible, record the phone call.
Keep a record of ALL communication. Do not have any further communication with the instructor.

Hopefully this leads to a prosecution and a conviction. Then the guy can teach snorkeling in the showers.

Any man learn to shoot a gun while another man was snoogling up behind them? This is shutterstock, not some rare instance.
Yes. That is not uncommon at all. Although the instructors are not rubbing their genitalia on you like what happened to OP. My wifes family has been in the firearms business for 3 generations and they have some excellent instructors that will work with you in a similar manner to the picture you posted. Ive sat in on many of those. They are not disgusting or perverted at all. These are professionals teaching you the “right” way to do things.

OP story is straight up screwed up. Please dont drag other industries into this when you dont know what you are talking about.

FYI: my wife was trained like your picture. She shoots better than me and was never uncomfortable. Because it was a professional interaction not sexual like OP’s.

To me OP‘s report doesn‘t sound credible at all bc so many things just don‘t add up. Maybe I‘m wrong on this….but everyone who thinks the OP has an obligation to press charges for the sake of other students being safer is also wrong. I get the sentiment, but real life is also a bit different. Being a vivctim doesn‘t force you to do anything. Whaterver way this person decides to cope and proceed is entirely up to them amd they don’t owe anything to anyone. And believe me, reporting any incident like this , be it to padi, the police or whatever institution, will cause a lot more questions than have been asked here. This shouldn‘t defer anyone from reporting, but all those things are easier said than done.

I haven’t read every page of the thread. Did the OP name the instructor or where this happened?

Back
Top Bottom