Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There shouldn't have been a Day 2.
It's sort of funny how gender plays such a strong role here and probably always will. If it was me and the instructor was an attractive she, and day 1 consisted of her climbing on my non-wetsuited back because she told me she forgot to bring it, and she gave me an underwater massage while rubbing against me I would have intentionally failed the mask clearing skill. By now we would be at day 100.

It's sort of funny how gender plays such a strong role here and probably always will. If it was me and the instructor was an attractive she, and day 1 consisted of her climbing on my non-wetsuited back because she told me she forgot to bring it, and she gave me an underwater massage while rubbing against me I would have intentionally failed the mask clearing skill. By now we would be at day 100.
This is such a ridiculous example and it showcases the male privilege quite well.

If you received UNWANTED sexual advances from someone you were scared could physically take advantage of you, you would not enjoy it.

It's sort of funny how gender plays such a strong role here and probably always will. If it was me and the instructor was an attractive she, and day 1 consisted of her climbing on my non-wetsuited back because she told me she forgot to bring it, and she gave me an underwater massage while rubbing against me I would have intentionally failed the mask clearing skill. By now we would be at day 10
Not funny ... creepy.

It's sort of funny how gender plays such a strong role here and probably always will
Gender probably only affects how you imagine you‘d feel because men usually don‘t have so much experience with constantly getting unwanted attention in inappropriate settings. It‘s not flattering, it‘s annoying and tiring. And if it happens in a situation you can‘t easily get out of, it‘s scary. Also, you said it yourself: If the instructor was an attractive she… well, if she wasn‘t an attractive she, the situation becomes a lot less appealing, doesn‘t it. I also doubt, this would be any fun in real life, no matter who the instructor was. Having someone in a wetsuit rubbing against your bare skin, doesn‘t seem appealing in any circumstance.

Anyway, I have a hard time imagining the logistics of this entire incident. The student facing away from the instructor, breathing from his octo, horizontally, at 6 meters, without anything on the students body for the instructor to hold on to to keep her in position. Even with the octo on a long hose I think it would take two quite experienced divers in synch to move or hover in this position without kicking each other, pulling the octo out of the lower person‘s mouth etc.

Primarily to distance myself from those in this thread who lack any understanding of much at all

However those who choose to misinterpret my post

The longer this offending remains unchecked these behaviours may escalate to things far worse
It is now your responsibility to educate yourself, and prevent this happening to any other victim

To learn what happened to you to empower yourself

I did compose a long spiel of explanation and sound advice but the wisdom I had already spent

Take your time to involve yourself in this information the exact opposite to what you think I said

Wow this is a bad comment. It was not obvious and EVEN if it was obvious it's sensitive talk.
It's his actions of him being in an autority position and me learning. I didn't even knew if it was legit. This exercice lasted 20 minutes top every day. Stop blaming "victim" and educate yourself.

also, to those two that gave your post a thumbs up
one of whom on this forum called me an "Old Perv"
and told me to "Lighten up Francis!" when I was offended, and asked for her post to be removed
perhaps she was just being one of the boys, or girls

On which one of my computers are all those screenshots just makes me sick just thinking about it

I would not want to be feeling your hurt Pearl0123:

Definitions of nuance. a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude. “without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor” synonyms: nicety, refinement, shade, subtlety. type of: import, meaning, significance, signification.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but what is

But what if a male instructor wanted to hold onto your back? The only way straight men understand sexual assault is unwanted is for them to imagine being groped by another man.

But what if a male instructor wanted to hold onto your back? The only way straight men understand sexual assault is unwanted is for them to imagine being groped by another man.
There wouldn't have been a day 2.

I hesitate to join in
if it were this guy rather than your fantasy girl?
IMG_6205.jpeg

OP has started an identical thread in FB with identical responses. Kinda parallel universe. Not sure she if she was expecting a different response.

I think that with the exception of JohnDiver, the overwhelming sentiment on both forums seems to be “report the guy” and repeat the course. Everything else is dogpiling at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom