I just signed up for Scuba Part 1 and was wondering if I should buy equipment on line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Bass

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase on-line and was Just wondering if I would be better off buying from the dive shop I am taking the class with or purchasing my gear on-line since it is much cheaper?

This is a very common question here. I assume by Scuba Part 1 you mean OW training. I highly suggest you buy your mask, snorkel, fins, and booties from wherever you are taking your training. If you don't you might get a lot of flack from them, they don't make any money on those training classes. I also don't recommend you buy any other gear until after you are certified.

Once certified and you decide this is for you make sure what you are buying will not be something you are going to replace in a few months or next year. It is far more important to do research on your equipment than where you purchase it or you'll end up with a bunch of useless equipment you don't want anymore. You should also probably purchase things that require fitting (wetsuits for example) locally, the rest can generally be purchased from anywhere. If you do decide to purchase online, ScubaToys is a really good online store. I'd also check with your LDS first and see if they can price match ScubaToys. Oh, if you do order from ScubaToys, mention you are a scubaboard member and you get 10% off.

yes online is cheaper, but you aren't even certified yet and honestly you don't know anything about gear and what to buy for your personal needs. Other than getting mask, snorkel, a wetsuit and fins you really shouldn't buy anything until you get through the course and talk to the instructor about where you plan to go and what type of diving you will do. Honestly, you don't know how little you know until you go diving the first time. You will learn so much about gear and it will save you $$$$ and time if you wait. Trust me, having made the mistake of going for cheap before getting certified, we ended up buy all new stuff afterwards. We could have saved quite a bit by just waiting a few months.

After you get certified, my personal opinion is go ahead and buy some things online but I would NOT buy a regulator setup (your life support system) except at my LDS. I want a human being to put together and service my gear and explain everything to me.... If you buy it online you will receive stuff in a box, no tools, no bench test on setup, and if it is a piece of crap, you have no one to complain to - all they will tell you is to box it up and send back.... who knows when you will get it back. I don't want to risk my life just to save $100. My life is worth more than that.

BCs are easier to buy online IF and only IF you are a standard size person. If you are short or tall or round or curvy (ladies can attest to this) you must try it on first. Lots and lots of them out there and if you waste an hour of the clerk's time at the LDS and then turn around and buy online, you are a jerk. I can't tell you how many times I have helped someone sizing and telling them all the functions of a piece of gear, just to have them say "thanks for your help, now I am going home and buy off the internet cause its cheaper!" That's one of the reasons I no longer work at a dive shop... the internet is cheaper and too many people abuse their LDS causing many of them to have to go out of business.

Okay, enough rant. I hope this helps.

robint

Welcome to Scubaboard

The gear that you need for the class that can not be rented such as a mask, fins, and booties for open heeled fins are best to by in person. Fit is important in a mask and a shop should help you to choose a mask that is going to fit your face and not leak. Same thing with fins and booties - you need to make sure that the items you purchase will work together.

If you are looking into other equipment as well from the get go such as a wetsuit, BC, and regulator set, there are varying opinions as to which is better - to buy from a local shop who will be able to service the gear and provide more personalized service or to save money and purchase online. Be sure to ask your shop if they offer any beginners package discounts on gear or if they are willing to match online prices. You don't know unless you ask....

Also, it would be helpful if you fill in your profile and provide some information on the type of diving you plan on doing - local, vacation, etc., as this will effect the type of gear that would be best suited to your needs.

Good luck with the classes and feel free to ask more questions!

Be sure to negotiate for a free 10 fills "air card".... if you have DSL, otherwise with dial-up, the best you can hope for is 2800 and no NitrOx

I actually was only going to buy the mask, Fins, Snorkel, Boots and a wetsuit. I actually will probably rent BC, Reg, ETC when I travel. I will only travel once per year and that is not enough diving to warrant spending thousdands of dollars on stuff that won't get used very often. Thanks for all the responses!

TxHockeyGuy:
I highly suggest you buy your mask, snorkel, fins, and booties from wherever you are taking your training. If you don't you might get a lot of flack from them, they don't make any money on those training classes.

This is said a LOT and I'm never clear on how anyone can make such a statement without detailed knowledge of the specific LDS providing the training.

I certainly can say for a fact that MANY LDS's make a LOT of $$$ on training. Do the math:

OW Class $150 per student. That includes NO materials. 100% gross profit. They pay the Instructor maybe $25 per student.
Materials $65, and likely a 50% gross profit margin.

Our LDS does two or more of these EVERY week with generally 8~10 students.

At 8 students that's a gross profit of at around $2400 weekly not counting profit on the materials, and retail goods the students purchase.

Now add in an additional $150 (local)~ $200 for OW checkout dives. Here the may have travel expenses (hence the difference in local vs. travel fee's). However they often show up with 25+ students for a weekend. Even at $150 per student that is another $3750 in gross profit, and they do this about once a month. At the $200 rate it's $5000, and the travel expenses to put up 3~4 instructors does NOT run them the difference ($1250).

Sure the instructors are not making squat unless one considers $200 for 12 hours of work a good wage. However the LDS owners are doing very well.

As for what to buy, and where I guess that depends upon what type of package your LDS offers. Ours provides the use of personal items for OW pool work. If your's does not you will either have to rent, or purchase those items. LDS's generally charge about 30% over online retail, but that can be as much as 50%, or even higher depending on the LDS.

Fit is important on personal items. However many online retailers like ScubaToys offer a very generous return policy, and can also help fit you online. Since a LOT of people all wear the same masks for example, a large number of masks will fit the majority of the folks out there. If you have a small, narrow, wide, large, or whatever face, neck, body, feet, than personal fit and trying out gear is going to be more critical.

I've owned 5 different masks from 4 manufactures, and they all fit without leaking on a good day (I have a stash). My buddy OTOH, has a big FACE, and he has a difficult time finding a good mask fit.

As for the BC, computers, wetsuit, etc., you have time to work that out. I'd make sure you LIKE diving, and can do things like clear your ears before running out and making a big purchase.

As a new diver myself I found it easier to by the gear at the local dive center, you may pay a little more then on line but you know it will fit correctly and they can answer any questions you may have face to face.

Sea Bass:
I am looking to purchase on-line and was Just wondering if I would be better off buying from the dive shop I am taking the class with or purchasing my gear on-line since it is much cheaper?

I'm an advocate of supporting your local dive shop. You can buy cheaper online, but do you really know what to look for in fit or quality? What about when you need your equipment repaired? You're leaving tomorrow on your dream vacation, you can't go to the website and ask "I'm leaving tomorrow can you repair my ..........?" but you can go to your LDS and they will do what they can to get your issue fixed.

If we don't support our LDS, they will go out of business and where will you get reliable air, where will you get equipment repaired or get that last minute piece of equipment you need? You can't buy air over the internet! Well some will say you can: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/etherfill.shtml :D

robint:
..........After you get certified, my personal opinion is go ahead and buy some things online but I would NOT buy a regulator setup (your life support system) except at my LDS. I want a human being to put together and service my gear and explain everything to me.... If you buy it online you will receive stuff in a box, no tools, no bench test on setup, and if it is a piece of crap, you have no one to complain to - all they will tell you is to box it up and send back.... who knows when you will get it back. I don't want to risk my life just to save $100. My life is worth more than that.

You apparently have NO experience purchasing from a modern on-line store. From our store, you get..........

complete gear assembly
complete flow testing of all regulators
all factory warranty documents completed
delivered, ready to dive.......

and it is put together by humans. You should try it sometimes. It is a fun experience.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom