I keep standing on muck while muck diving. Does this kill the animals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waah. This post makes me yearn to return to Lembeh. I was only there once, and while my buoyancy skills were good enough that I did not touch the bottom, I want to return now that I have improved my skills considerably. If the current made it difficult to maintain position, I just didn't get that close to the subject. Touching the bottom was not an option I would have considered. I do not touch anything that is not clearly devoid of life. "Because it is muck diving"/strong current/whatever is no excuse for intentionally touching the bottom, in my opinion. I would advocate putting in the time to practice not touching the bottom before diving in such a jewel as Lembeh.

After I posted earlier on this thread, I remembered a video that Dan Volker made about the use of the back kick for photographers. It was done at the Blue Heron Bridge, I believe, which has a silty bottom not all that different from muck diving sites elsewhere. It shows precisely how possible it is to work close to the bottom, and with a camera, in delicate environments and without disturbing anything. I hope the OP takes a look at it, and finds some help developing such skills.

How about tripods? I have trouble holding a Gopro steady for critter videos and I was thinking of getting this to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom