I know this is a total newbie question BUT...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer once bubbled...

Well, explain this: On regualr air you are using, say asingle aluminum 80 tank. But w/ Nitrox you are using TWO alum 80 tanks (one Oxy/one nitro) so with those two tanks being mixed, would n't you get more down time over using the single tank? I realize the mixture isn't 50/50 but still...you are working w/ 160 cu ft of gases over just 80?

or am I wrong altogether? when I see someone diving w/ 2 tanks I just assume one is oxygen and the other is nitrogen, or are you diving w/ it pre mixed and put into one bottle?:confused:

Nitorx can be used in any tank(as long as it is O2 cleaned) whether it is a set of 120 steel doubles or a 10 cu pony. Also when using doubles it is not oxygen in tank Nitrogen in the other. The gases are mixed together basically by filling the tank with air and then topping it off with the right amount of oxygen to get the desired mix(very oversimplified explanantion). Hope that explains it a little better for you.

*Doubles for nitrox with one tank for oxygen and the other nitro...*?!!?
Nitrox is pre-blended.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Blending nitrox by first filling with air and then topping with O2...*?!!?
That's backwards.

Take the class!

BTW... my guess is that you won't be getting more bottom time with nitrox because you're going to be limited by your SAC and gas supply anyway. And while nitrox would give you a shorter surface interval if you are on a charter dive you will be doing the same SI that everyone else is doing.

That said, the benefit of nitrox for you for your Hawaii trip is going be as Friscuba said. You will feel better after multiple days of multiple dives.

Thanks, for your help! Don't woryy I have every intention of taking the class first!
*Doubles for nitrox with one tank for oxygen and the other nitro...*?!!?
Like I said I'm new!:D & it would probably seem like a stupid ? for most of you.
Anyways, I just wanted answers as far as theory was concerned, and to make my decision on if I wanted to take a nitrox class before the trip. I apreciate the feedback:)

JeffG once bubbled...
either a) Safer than air for a given depth/time (because of less N2 in "the mix")

or

b) longer bottom time allowed than air for a given depth

Yes, as often stated, except - DCS hits are so rare, that the relative increase in safety of the often suggested "Nitrox, with air tables or computer" is relatively worthless.

To me, it's approx 50% more safe time at depth - 60 to 111 feet on 32%Ean.

However, diving with less experienced divers and who-knows DMs in Cozumel last month, those who had computes were violating, and some of the tables divers were commenting about "breaking the rules." :notme:

I always request Nitrox for dives planned below 60 feet - if available.

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom