I know you have some info on Thailand --

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving 2 years in thailand, and it is great, specially similians. I went on a liveaboard for severel days, and it was fantastic. My suggestion is to stay at Kata Thani, great hotel. If you want very quiet stay at Cape Panwa about ½ hour from Kata and Karon (hotel where people like Leonardo di caprio and Oliver Stone stays) 1st class. In Kata you will find "phuket-scuba-club" Diving Phuket Scuba Club Thailand - PADI courses and Liveaboard scuba diving[/url] they a really pro. And if you go to Karon on the beach you will find a small dive info center owned by Phuket-Scuba-Club: Simon will tell you everything. If you need a divemaster to join you, take Rachel, she is really good. And say hello to them from Lars Sandrini;-)

Hi Bob,

To answer your question about dive sites. The Similans are great and Richeleu Rock a little further to the north is also one of Thailand's top dives, so is worth including in a Similans itinerary.

Further south, the Bida Islands (Nok & Nai) probably offer the best diving around Ko Phi Phi, then further south again you have the islands of Ko Haa, plus Hin Daeng & Hin Muang - two sea mounts that are known for the big fishes.

October should be ok weather wise. It's not quite the high season but the worst of the low season weather should be out of the way fingers crossed.

jonix -- I'll pm him. Thanks for the referral

Miagisan -- Thanks for the info, Lars, I'll check them out.

UWAsia -- I appreciate the info on weather and the overview on dive areas.

Hi Bob,

I did an overnight "semi" liveaboard trip to the Similan Islands early December last year with Khao Lak Scuba Adventures (a locally run shop). It was fantastic! We left early in the morning from town, took an 1 1/2 hour boat trip to the Islands and then stayed on their overnight ship. I did 6 dives in 2 days, including a night dive. 2x's I was the only person with the DM. The accomodations are very basic, but the staff and food are great! Fly into Phuket and catch a large aircon bus (or get a taxi) and head to Khao Lak. I wasted a night in Phuket and will never go back - it was not at all what I was expecting for Thailand! I stayed at Khao Lak Bungalows (Gerd & Noi) right on Nang Thong Beach and easy walk to several dive shops and restaraunts/ stores. The rooms are nothing fancy, but the bar, pool and massages on the beach are totally relaxing and low key! It was my favorite spot in Thailand and I only wish I'd had more time there. Good luck!

I'll be around Thailand in July of next year. Any liveaboards worth doing on the East Coast?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom