I need need help to select a fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm changing from force fins to a more general usage type fin. I posted a thread in the fin area for help. Most of the recommendations were for jet fins with spring straps. I am going to test the ScubePro entries in that field.

franklinreinoza:
I have to buy a fin and it must be an aqualung, scubapro, mares or oceanic.

which one you recommend me and why?

Not that these are "bad" choices (I actually like and prefer a mares product) - but why are you limiting your choices?

...to answer your question...

I prefer the mares Quatro Power full foot fin (warm water only). What I recommend is that you go out and use everry fin you're considering (and maybe some you are not) and try them all out. The best one for YOU is the right choice. FOrget about what everyone else tells you - that's for them.

Jim

During one of my dive trips, when the dive shop found out that a few of us are considering getting new fins, they arranged for different brand/ model of fins. My friend and I tried 2 different sets of fins. I bought one and she bought the other, for different reasons.

The bottom line is we are all unique :) and hence it is better to try out the fins because what suits one might not work for the other. Good luck.

I'd recommend trying out Mares Quattros and the ScubaPro Jets and Twin Jets. I think that regardless of diving style and preferences, most divers would gladly endorse at least one of these. Check out all three, and any others you're interested in, and decide what you like.

Regardless of your choice, I recommend spring straps. There are a number of threads here about making your own, and it isn't very difficult or expensive. Buying them, IMHO, is only a good idea if you aren't comfortable using pliers or prefer spending extra money.

MSilvia:
I'd recommend trying out Mares Quattros and the ScubaPro Jets and Twin Jets. I think that regardless of diving style and preferences, most divers would gladly endorse at least one of these. Check out all three, and any others you're interested in, and decide what you like.

Regardless of your choice, I recommend spring straps. There are a number of threads here about making your own, and it isn't very difficult or expensive. Buying them, IMHO, is only a good idea if you aren't comfortable using pliers or prefer spending extra money.

yea definately those are all great fins. i personally prefer using jet fins when i am diving locally. if you plan to travel alot however i do feel that the jets can sometimes get in the way because they are heavy and kind of bulky. for traveling i use mares volo power. these fins are truly great, they are extremely light and easy to travel with.

MSilvia:
I'd recommend trying out Mares Quattros and the ScubaPro Jets and Twin Jets.
Mares fins were my first, and I've never had a complaint about them except that they're almost (but not quite) too long to fit in the fin pocket in my gear bag, and that when I got a drysuit the foot pockets were too small for my boots. I still use them without reservation when I dive wet. Some folks find the longer blades tiring to use, but I haven't had that problem except after the sort of prolonged exertion I'd prefer to avoid while diving anyhow.

Since I needed a new pair of fins to go with my drysuit though, I figured I'd try the jet fins, as they come highly recommended for drysuit and technical diving. I was just about to take advanced nitrox and recreational trimix classes, so the power these fins provide was just what the doctor ordered for overcoming the extra drag of doubles and stage bottles. DIR-F also showed me that they were an excellent fin for precise maneuvering. They're a bit heavy/negatively bouyant, which can be nice when diving dry, but I can't say if I'd like it wet.

I've only tried the twin jets once, in a pool. I'd heard that they provide a lot of propulsion with minimal effort, and found that to be true when flutter kicking. Frog kicking was noticably less effective than with regular jets, and helicopter turns were substantially less effective due to the less rigid nature of the fins. I'm sure they'd be a good choice for reef cruising, but I didn't like them and switched back to my own fins after 15 minutes.

If I had to rate them on a purely subjective scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being average, I'd go like this:

Mares/Jet/Twin
Flutter kick: 7/7/9
Frog kick: 7/7/4
Helicopter: 7/8/4
Reverse: 6/8/3
Power: 8/8/4
Acceleration: 9/8/7
Control: 7/10/4
Comfort: 6/6/8

IMHO it’s not the fin that makes the product good or bad. It’s the person doing the fining. I've done many 1000yds open water swims 2000yds open water swims and even one 10000yds swim all were in dive school and all were for time. I used all the fins that were mentioned in this thread a few that went. The jet fin is fast and strong and with better fining technique you won’t even know they are on your feet. I dive with lots of people who have logged many many more dives than I yet still fin poorly. The stiffer the fin the less forgiving meaning the Mares nice fin great flex will allow a poor fining technique and will get the job done, Jet fin poor fining and you'll feel like you've got lead on your feet. Jets are the best of the three. I'm not sure the depth or the type of diving you do but I would hate to get a hole in my Dry suit or BC and have to fin myself up from 60 feet and have to tread water on the surface while either the boat comes to you or you go to the boat the flexible fins will not support the weight of Twin 80s with a little weight on your belt. Just some FYI hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom