I need need help to select a fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell your local dive shop you want to dive all four fins b4 you buy. Only way to tell which ones work best for you is dive em all and who the hell wants to buy 4 sets of fins to find the right pair. Surely your dive center will step up to the plate here and do the right thing in customer service. At least where I come from you can work that deal, especially if you are a dedicated dive junkie to that dive center. On the whole I like Scubapro Jet (have 3 pair) but I also have a great pair of TUSA split which are super comfy in water and I find in heavy current like I run into often in Cozumel that the TUSA outdive the Jet and I use less energy with the stiffer fin. Also have a pair of Quatro's that for the money are outstanding fins, just not total comfort in my case but they dang sure make a good backup set in an emergency need. I let my students dive all of my fins so they get hands on opinion for themselves.

I have to buy a fin and it must be an aqualung, scubapro, mares or oceanic.

which one you recommend me and why?

I like the Mares fins. They are fairly inexpensive and do a pretty good job. As someone pointed out, the length of the fins are a bit of a pain for most gear bags. I've found when diving with a new buddy they will occasionally wander off, e.g. I'll be checking out some marine life and they swim off. My Mares fins let me easily catch up to them. Since I've been getting better with my buoyancy I'm amazed at how fast I can move with them.

I have seen a number of people here recommending the ScubaPro fins. I have noticed that a lot of the tech divers like these things. I'm not a tech diver so I don't know what the requirements are but, based on how many tech divers recommend them, it sure looks like they meet them. On a guess, they cause less turbulence thus reducing silting in confined spaces? Any tech divers care to explain why they are so popular.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom