I need suggestions on preserving environment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ray,

Chemical light sticks are disposable, I have seen them on the reefs, picked them up and put them in the trash can. (Usually a boat ride back to shore).

IMHO CLS (chemical light sticks) should be against the law for scuba diving.

It's a good product, but this is the wrong application for it.

ID

Once again do you think it is the divers that are throwing light sticks over board??????? Or maybe better yet could it be the commercial fishing that uses them attached to baits to lure fish? I keep hearing we must govern divers??? Are we not the most conservational of the bunch?? I dive all the time, Although I am not a professional I have lived on the water since I was 2. I have been under it since I was 5 free-diving and 12 on scuba. I have never met in today’s world a non- environmental group of divers. Lets stop restricting divers, especially when it comes to devices that work and can save a life or protect the diver from harm. (Like light sticks, which are a. non-toxic. b last for quite some time, unless your not doing a night-drift dive and you have a battery powered light with disposal batteries and you power runs out...bye-bye...Please don’t tell me your going to attach a strobe to the end of you flag......it wont float upright....and if you attach it at the base and the seas pick up.....well then. People we all must start we education. It is like saying the restrictions on the non-commercial fishing are what is going to save fish stocks when it makes up less that 1% of the total fish caught globally!!!!!!

Uwsince79,

It doesn't make any difference who is using them, they either need to be made out of a biodegradeable material or taken off the market. It doesn't matter who's trashing the environment, just that it needs to be stopped, one way or the other.

Surely out there somebody can come up with something different than disposable plastic light sticks, just sitting here thinking about this, alternatives come to mind.

ID

Wow....I am amazed....I use cyalume lights for night diving and have never seen them come off if tied onto the divers tank properly. They are an important safety device, and should not be banned. ages

Don name some, give me alts to the light sticks problem. I use them and then put them in the plastic recycle bin when i am done. And never in all my 20 years have i seen them floating and not on the bottom.

For one purchase a permanant tank light, in the long run will cost less and you don't use near as many batteries as you do light sticks. I can do almost an entire season of night dives on the 2 AA batteries used on my tank light. How many light sticks would that be, about 40-50.

Another, Pelican makes a little red flashing light that could be used to attach to the top of your safety sausage.
It's real small, uses 2AAA batteries.

Another, you gave me an Idea and I'm gonna talk to somebody about it first.

ID

I have a wide variety of "electronic lights". They are basically useless in our dark waters. They just do not have the intensity needed to see someone at night. I do have a stobe that works, but is a nightmare to the poor schmuck who is hiking down to the water behind me!! Not all the cyalume lights are useful either. The only ones we have found that have the intensity needed for up here, are the yellow and green ones. ages

for my 2 cents, I do not agree. Batteries die, Usually at the worst of times. It is just my opinion on this, but I do not like to use batteries when i do not have to. They are more harmful to the environment than recycled plastic. For those of you who can't get it together and through caution to the wind (or you glow sticks) please use the above referenced lights. I do advise in the middle of the Atlantic at night in rough seas carry back ups lights for you lights. Murphy dives with everyone...........

Back
Top Bottom