I saw a pod of HUBs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
scott, you're right

he means a BOB (this is clear from context):

http://www.bob-diving-center.com/bob_en.htm

the HUB, of course, is an integrated BC from Mares

Indeed, I know the guy who used to build the BOB units.

They are actually pretty cool little toys. I have been trying to figure out a way to mount a speargun on one and shoot fish from it. :wink:

Scott

jonnythan:
Yes.. but I'm having trouble picturing a group of divers with their BC's tied to tubes on the surface.

I shouldn' be surprised by *anything* in this industry :wink:
Maybe they were diving HUB's and those little scooter things - can you imagine anything more scary, particularly if towing around innertubes. Maybe there is a mini-scooter hidden away in one of the HUB's pockets, attached somehow to its intergrated 1st stage, uses air power/pressure to get the turbine moving, but of course if something goes bust you have to take the whole BC apart to find out what is wrong in its labrynth of hoses.

Yeah,

Sorry, they were BOBs. There was no name anywhere, I rembered the HUB thing :cool:

They looked like a dome attached to part of a no-wheeled motorcycle.

Terry

ScottZeagle:
I thought the wierd underwater things were BOBs?

archman:
Hey, it says that BOB has fittings for lights, for use in "night and cave diving". Must be a real hoot, motoring one of those things in a cave. :11: I guess that alone's enough for some nice BOB-bashing.

"Has long-lasting lights so the recovery team can easily locate your body."

Think they should add that to the advertising material :cool:

Terry

ScottZeagle:
They are actually pretty cool little toys. I have been trying to figure out a way to mount a speargun on one and shoot fish from it. :wink:
Spearing the fish might be the easiest part of that. What you do when the speared fish becomes annoyed and takes off dragging you on your BOB through all sorts of adventures is the REAL challenge! :D <theme song from "Gilligan's Island" plays in background..."a three-ho-ur tour"...>

I wonder if the story about the terrorists dive training included BOB's. Maybe we could send them on a training mission into a deep cave... :crafty:

Those things remind me of those vehicles from Star Wars Episode 1.

How the heck are you supposed to equalize?

you're not actually sealed in those -- you just lift one hand up under the apron and hold your nose...

Neat idea, except that it would have to somehow solve two problems: 1) ensuring the gas cycles -- you don't want just your CO2 staying in the helmet; 2) making sure (1) happens without using up the breathing gas so quick there's no opportunity to use the deco features on the built in computer... :)

Other than that -- a great idea, especially for those without use (or at least good use) of their legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom