i survived the tsunami!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an EMT. There is no question that you did the right thing by controlling bleeding an providing oxygen. I almost stopped half-way through your story, as I was sure that it was going to end badly. Glad I read it to the end.

Take care,

Mike

clive francis:
and lets face it that doesn't equip you for this sort of thing, i don't think any thing does.

i just did what i had to.
... inside where it counts!

Clive, you are a good man. As Snowbear said, now you need to take care of yourself. The reactions you are having are normal. Talking about what happened helps. I hope that eventually you will be able to have contact with the girl's family and learn about her condition.

I am truly sorry any person has to experience what you did. You will always be remembered by that family, wether you have contact or not, be proud of your actions, they were truly remarkable.

And as several others have stated, it is now time to take care of yourself and family

amazing, absolutly amazing...
well done sir, well done indeed!

That must be a difficult decision to make when you know that you must save those that you have or possibly loose everyone trying to save a couple more.

I congratulate you on making the hard decisions and thank you for having the courage to do so.

Christian

This will likely be the major experience of your lifetime.
It went from a bad one to one with good results, all due to your actions.
You are a hero, and have a place in that select group along with other heros.
It's now time to take care of yourself.

Clive,
As an experienced Registered Nurse having worked in a trauma surgery unit, may I add my reassurance that everything you did was the right. Each assessment and action and re-evaluation was the best action to take. When receiving trauma patients in the Operating Room, our teams were always so grateful to hear and see the results of committed, active first-responders. Getting oxygen was brilliant! Considering the fire risk of enriched oxygen environments following large scale disasters (any spark could start something burning), setting the flow to half was effective and safe. It's incredible support like yours that allows the surgeons to potentially make repairs that will offer the person a fuller life after recovery. The first "golden hour" after trauma makes more difference than many services provided by the destination hospital. You can't heal the souls that don't arrive.

On a personal note, I too was sobbing as I read your report and empathized with your agony, fear and anger. I was afraid to keep reading. I am so relieved and grateful that this child survived, cradled in the protection of your hard work and caring.

Heroes are rarely sure they did everything right....the difference is that, at the time, they knew they had to keep trying...and were unstoppable.

May the love of family and friends surround and heal you.
Claudette

None of us know how we would react in such a situation, I can only hope I would have your courage. You saved not only her life and soul but that of her family as well. I'm sure it was especially hard with your own son aboard and you're worry for him. When he's old enough to understand this story, he'll know his Daddy is a hero. God Bless you for all you did.

God bless you Clive.
It's people like you that make it worth while to be human.

I always knew there were Angels on earth. Clive Francis is a ringing example of them. :crying:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom