I think I'll Pass (this time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions.

I have to admit, I'm now having second thoughts...

I think we'll come prepared to go, and see how conditions are when we get there.

I just dove Monterey last weekend. Mind you, I was certified there, so I knew what I was getting into. Here is my two cents.

- With shorediving, you get all heated up getting geared up that when your face hits the water, it feels freaking FANTASTIC. Hands might get a little cold, definitely will need something more than reef gloves.
- As for your son and his age: Kids his age are tough. I think if you were to have DM so you didn't have to worry so much about him, you'd have an awesome time. Divemasters can help you out with unfamiliar gear, etc.

Monterey is a gorgeous experience that I have yet to completely explore. Trust me, it's worth it. Let us know what you decide to do!

Yep, there is no other place then flying through the kelp forest. Although coral reefs are nice, I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere except about 1 hour away from the ocean that is Monterey. There is something that just draws me to the the underwater world of Monterey/Carmelthat I can't explain...:confused:...and if you're lucky, you'll see seals coming close and some tug on our swim fins too. :)

Oh, I really recommend not passing up diving in Monterey. There is a ton of life in the water there, and amazing color. I didn't expect the hydrocoral in pinks and purples and yellows. It was almost like being tropical.

On the other hand, I wouldn't schedule just one day. I live in cold water and do tropical trips, and every time I come home from someplace warm, it's an uncomfortable transition back to heavy exposure protection and all that weight . . . Do two days, hire a DM to help you do the Breakwater the first day (easy entry, easy diving, but not inspiring) and the next day, do Pt. Lobos with a local SB guide. It's incredibly beautiful.

I wonder how long that site will stay up. Those images are so wonderful, and the little essays are so articulate.

I've wondered the same thing. Since nothing has been posted about his passing, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that he is the only one who has access to the server/account. I wonder if we could somehow gather funds and contact his family and try to keep the site alive as a memorial.

Edit: Doing a whois search, it appears his domain is registered through 9 Dec 2007. From teh info, I assume his hosting expires at this time as well.

I have a small hosting company plenty of server space, I'd donate it to keep his images alive, I wouldn't know who to contact for this offer so if you know PM me. The family would have to get ahold of the domain name, probably some hoops and red tape to jump through I'm sure.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
I have a small hosting company plenty of server space, I'd donate it to keep his images alive, I wouldn't know who to contact for this offer so if you know PM me. The family would have to get ahold of the domain name, probably some hoops and red tape to jump through I'm sure.

-Garrett

Chuck Tribolet will be working to maintain the website. It was already suggested in the thread below by another admirer of Kawika's work...me! I am sure Chuck will see this part too, as he follows the NorCal section, but you might PM him your offer.

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=185508

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom