I think it is a Hit, My Dive leader says no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crestgel

Contributor
Reaction score
Went on a liveaboard in the Similan Island, 4 days 3 nights. 4 dives a days.

I'm overweight 5'8" 235 lbs
My dive computer is a Nitek He
We did Safety stops, slow ascends and 1.5 hour surface intervals.

On the first 3 dives on the 3rd day of diving I ran within a few minutes of deco.
After the 3rd dive I did 2 jumps from the 3rd level of the liveaboard into the water. While suiting up for the 4th dive of the day I notice a pain in my right hip/butt area. I came within a few minutes of deco again.

After the dive seating at the table waiting for dinner I notice that my left hip started to hurt and my right hip was hurting more then before. within 10 minutes my left triceps then my right triceps area hurt. Another 10-15 minutes and my left chest then a circular pain in the middle of my stomach. By this time I was worried. While seating there thinking about the days diving and the possible reasons for this, the pain started to go away starting from the right hip.

Does this sound like DCS?

crestgel:

On the first 3 dives on the 3rd day of diving I ran within a few minutes of deco.
After the 3rd dive I did 2 jumps from the 3rd level of the liveaboard into the water. While suiting up for the 4th dive of the day I notice a pain in my right hip/butt area. I came within a few minutes of deco again.

After the dive seating at the table waiting for dinner I notice that my left hip started to hurt and my right hip was hurting more then before. within 10 minutes my left triceps then my right triceps area hurt. Another 10-15 minutes and my left chest then a circular pain in the middle of my stomach. By this time I was worried. While seating there thinking about the days diving and the possible reasons for this, the pain started to go away starting from the right hip.

You weren't drinking any of that nasty chang beer were you?
Seriously I would get an expert's opinion on it but it doesn't sound like a typical bends hit to me either but I'm not a doctor either.
Hope you're better now. If not call DAN ASAP.

I hate to rain on your parade, but going to a forum to find out if you have DCS or not is not to smart. Call DAN 919-684-2948. They will make the evaluation.

After you make the call you might as well let us know what the verdict is.

Good luck.

Salaam

Chris

If you think its a hit call DAN. Your dive leader does not have to live with the consequences.

crestgel:
No other symptoms and it spontaneously resolved? Sure doesn't sound like DCS to me. Probably gas. That Thai food can be murder.

Mossman:
No other symptoms and it spontaneously resolved? Sure doesn't sound like DCS to me. Probably gas. That Thai food can be murder.
Just speculating: Nope. Probly an overweight, out of shape fellow with some muscle aches more in common with unusual physical activity.

If it was an emergency, I'd be with the others on calling DAN - or gimme your number and I'll have them call you. But from the info given, whatever it was resolved, and even if it was a light hit - how long has it been? 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks? He doesn't say, no countdown on his profile - but he was on a liveaboard off of the Similan Island, and now he's somewhere posting on the net. Therefore, I take it that he is here for discussion.

He did not go into detail on the day's dives, but 1-1/2 hour surface intervals - diving Air I presume? With what he did tell of the dives, that pushing it. My questions...
1-How long has it been?
2-Were you diving Air?
2-Was Nitrox available?
3-Are you Nitrox certified to dive it?
4-Were you hydrating heavily starting the night before the trip, and avoiding alcohol?
5-Did you request Oxygen?
6-Have you flown since?
7-Any symptoms now?

crestgel:

Hmmm do you think that the two jumps from the third level of the boat into the water may have been a less than intelligent move. As Carlos Mencia would say: De da de

crestgel:
While seating there thinking about the days diving and the possible reasons for this, the pain started to go away starting from the right hip.
Did the pain all go away? All better now? No lingering symptoms?

And DCS or not, think about the list of things that you rattled off that you did (or are, regarding fitness). Evidently you think these could potentially contribute to a hit.

Any different plans in the future?

Back
Top Bottom