I want to design a Dive Watch. What would make the best watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be older than I thought. :D Probably also explains why you live a lot closer to Thailand than I do :wink: I hope you're not one of those guys who's "too sexy for his car" :)
The diving in Thailand used to be a draw, but Indonesia has been the preferred destination for a long time; both my wife and I prefer it. We do weekend together in Bangkok frequently, however. I'm not sure what the connection between Thailand and my pricy shoes is, though.

I'm not sure what age has to do with it either, but I'm almost 52. The 20-something's that work for me dress appropriately as well, if not as lavishly. As the CEO of a Wall Street subsidiary, I dress to expectations. If there's anything inappropriate about my attire it's the Rolex, actually, but I do have a dress watch for those occasions that call for one.

I take it you haven't done a lot of face-to-face business in Hong Kong or New York.

Despite the disclaimer, I have no trouble believing that Rolex did hold up under that pressure

Neither do I. Which is what I said earlier: a quality dive watch will do its rated depth, hot tubs and lack of maintenance notwithstanding

Thanks for the single, slightly dubious data point

You're welcome. There are others, I'll leave you to google them for yourself

The diving in Thailand used to be a draw, but Indonesia has been the preferred destination for a long time; both my wife and I prefer it. We do weekend together in Bangkok frequently, however. I'm not sure what the connection between Thailand and my pricy shoes is, though.

I'm not sure what age has to do with it either, but I'm almost 52. The 20-something's that work for me dress appropriately as well, if not as lavishly. As the CEO of a Wall Street subsidiary, I dress to expectations. If there's anything inappropriate about my attire it's the Rolex, actually, but I do have a dress watch for those occasions that call for one.

I take it you haven't done a lot of face-to-face business in Hong Kong or New York.

No. I keep hoping to get lucky with an assignment in China (I like the mainland better than Hong Kong) but I've been working as a project management consultant and my customers are usually line-managers and only occasionally do I sit in board meetings at top-levels and then only because they need to hear what I have to say and they don't have to time or inclination to read a report about it unless it fits on a post-it note.

In my work there's a slight risk of overdressing, or making the client think he's paying too much for your services. My employer actually recommends that we don't dress better than our clients for this reason.... If the client doesn't wear a tie then take off yours... If he's wearing $200 shoes then leave the $1200 ones a home.... that kind of thing. They call it mirroring but it's just to make sure that the boss knows that we know whose the boss :)

I guess we just have customers with different norms. On a tangent, I'm looking for a new job at the moment and really tying to find something with a China component. The Dutch have a lot of companies that do business in India but somehow they've been slow to look to China. It's coming, though, and I'll try to get a piece of it if I can.

The link with Thailand and the shoes was just a flash of imagination/humour that got the best of me. Middle aged guy, bad toupé, car too fast, shoes too shiny, expensive watch but having to go to Thailand to get sex. That all says more about me than you, of course, but the image was funny enough that I blurted it out. :)

R..

My one and only criterion for a dive watch: chicks must dig it.

---------- Post Merged at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Ugh!!!! Rolex.

Decent watch, well made: $500
Extra mile and good dealer network $200
Styling: colleagues will notice and chicks dig the James Bond factor: $300
Swiss ego: $4000

No thanks. Switzerland is known for two things. Banks that white-wash money for criminals and watches that cost more than they're worth.

Haterz gonna hate.

Japanese ego only costs $200 so I'd rather have that.

Really? Go price me a Grand Seiko dive watch and let me know how cheap it is.

Oh, and of course your service is guaranteed. You pay more to get the battery on a Rolex changed than most people spend on a new watch.

R..

Of course! It's a Rolex. An oil change on a Ferrari is probably more expensive than some used Japanese cars too.

---------- Post Merged at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Does Rolex make battery-powered watches? I don't think so.

I have $1,200 shoes, so I'm willing to pay more for this factor. :wink:

Rolex doesn't currently make quartz watches but they have been known to make back in the days the Oysters Quartz. Very rare and desirable.

I have $2000 guns, so I'm willing to pay more for this factor as well.

---------- Post Merged at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:32 PM ----------

The link with Thailand and the shoes was just a flash of imagination/humour that got the best of me. Middle aged guy, bad toupé, car too fast, shoes too shiny, expensive watch but having to go to Thailand to get sex. R

Thailand for sex is so cliche.

I prefer Uruguay. The minas are soooooo hawt!!!

I am a fan of Tag.
My day watch is a tag kirium, I am planning on TAG Heuer Men's CAH1113.BT0714 Formula 1 Collection Chronograph Black Rubber Watch For my dive watch,
I like a nice sapphire crystal that will almost never scratch, that is worth the price tag for me, and I usually buy used.

But that is just me, I think everyone should own a nice watch.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom