I want to upgrade my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old is okay, but you still need to pick the right "old".

check things like shutter lag, RAW support, onboard flash control and white balance controls, ability to shoot in manual, macro versus wide angle support. depending upon what types of pictures you want, you may find the camera lacking.

it makes sense to work up a list of must have features and then select the camera. instead of selecting the camera and then finding out if it is right for you.

i started with a S&S DX1G some years ago and THEN learned what features I needed. I got lucky as it had everything i wanted. i recently upgraded because I wanted to have better super macro support and ended up choosing a Canon G16. There were other candidates but the G16 won because it has a hotshoe (wired sync support) and a long zoom lens that will work with my wet diopter (subsee +10).

P.S. maybe I could make you a deal on my old DX1G? I have plans to ebay it, but have just not gotten around to it.

I have looked at the DX1-G, it looks like a nice system, but they are running about $650 for full system with strobes. PM me a price if you would please.

Last edited:
I second the Olympus TG-3 and by watching eBay you can get the camera and housing for around $550 with no tax and free delivery (Combination of sales and bays frequent 10% ebay bucks). Adding lights will improve it but even without you should be able to get very good quality shots.

I found an older sea and sea housing for the Canon EOS D-60 platform. but I am not sure if the orings are still available, and it was a little pricey for an obsolete housing. I will check out the TG-3 system.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 02:29 AM ----------

I have been trying to find a compatible strobe for my current set up, but the ones that would work are also obsolete and no longer serviced. I am concerned in that these systems were once the latest greatest and expensive as hell items that their newest counterparts are now. I don't like to chase technology, I want to get something that will still be working, and serviable 5-10 years from now.

I have looked at the DX1-G, it looks like a nice system, but they are running about $650 for full system with strobes. PM me a price if you would please.
i noticed one on ebay currently for $400. with a wide angle lens and a ys110 strobe. i would not recommend the ys110 for fibre optical sync. it will work about 90% of the time. i converted to wired sync and went manual instead of ttl.

I am trying to find some strobes that would work with my current camera and housing. Google isn't helping. I have a Canon WP-DC10 housing with a PowerShot SD100 ELPH camera. Old as crap, but still working well. I am thinking that it would need to be some kind of slave flash system. Old Tech.

I am trying to find some strobes that would work with my current camera and housing. Google isn't helping. I have a Canon WP-DC10 housing with a PowerShot SD100 ELPH camera. Old as crap, but still working well. I am thinking that it would need to be some kind of slave flash system. Old Tech.
nope - you need new tech. a "digital ready" optical slave strobe that can ignore camera preflash. and can be used on your next camera!

the "modern" approach is to use optical sync cables. which means the strobe IS an optical slave. all current strobes are optical slaves. a few high end ones also provide old fashioned wired sync AND manual control.

a good tray, arm strobe can be reused on your next camera. maybe start by investing in a slightly used quality light package and then upgrade your camera later?

That's true, I use a set of Sea and Seas (same set that blue water photo was talking about in an earlier post)...takes great pictures with them...

Well the Canon D-60 fell into my hands so cheap that I am going to go with it for now. I want to find a Sea & Sea DX 30/60 case with arm and strobe. I found one on flea bay but the seller wants close to $300 for it. There have got to be some of these laying around gathering dust since they are so obsolete,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom