I wish someone else in Cozumel would start doing Nitrox fills...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're not the only one! It's getting absurd! They just sent out a notice to operators last week...prices raised AGAIN!

Here you're agreeing with me on the Nitrox costs.

I'd say that Cozumel Nitrox prices are actually right in line with the rest of the Caribbean.

And now you're reversing your position. Which one is it, Christi?

Cocoview does so well on Nitrox that they fill tanks for other resorts. When I was in Belize last May it was not $10-$12 per fill. It was $100/week.

Anyway, I think this thread has about beaten the horse.

-Charles

You're not the only one! It's getting absurd! They just sent out a notice to operators last week...prices raised AGAIN!

I'd say that Cozumel Nitrox prices are actually right in line with the rest of the Caribbean.

-Charles
Before we put this horse out to pasture. . . How are Christi's 2 statements conflicting or a reversal? One deals with the prices that a dive operator or consumer is paying for the EANx fills. The other deals with how those prices compare to the region. You can acknowledge that the cost is in-line with the region, but still not like having to pay that price locally. Especially, if you were paying less than regional prices for Nitrox just a short time ago. You can also understand why the prices went up and still not like paying them.

Cocoview does so well on Nitrox that they fill tanks for other resorts. When I was in Belize last May it was not $10-$12 per fill. It was $100/week.

Anyway, I think this thread has about beaten the horse.

-Charles

Charles...you're kidding right?!

I am NOT reversing my statement. NO, I don't like that they keep increasing the price...but that doesn't mean that the prices are out of line with other Caribbean destinations. Prices are rising everywhere...the fact that it's true and the fact that I don't like it is NOT a contradiction.

-Charles

Just FYI, but it's $125/week now....

Anyone have an idea on what the start-up costs would be for a fill station that could do 1000-2000+ tanks/day and EANx?

While looking for something to keep me busy if I were to move to Coz,I investigated putting in a nitrox fill station. 800 tanks to start,2 compressors, 2 generators,& 2 used trucks for delivery. $800,000 ....Building rental and cost to set up the paper work for business was not included.
This was assuming a retail price of $7.00 per tank. 1/2 price to crew members.
For a 5 day customer unlimited tanks for $125.00
It figured to be something more than just keep me busy... I was going to have to hump it 7 days a week just to retire the debt in 5 yrs. with no real income to me for that time.
The good thing would be that the dive ops could push the EAN courses and increase their income.
Sounded like waaay more work than I want at this point in my life.

Regards BOSCO

Just FYI, but it's $125/week now....

That's a higher incremental increase that here.

While looking for something to keep me busy if I were to move to Coz,I investigated putting in a nitrox fill station. 800 tanks to start,2 compressors, 2 generators,& 2 used trucks for delivery. $800,000 ....Building rental and cost to set up the paper work for business was not included.
This was assuming a retail price of $7.00 per tank. 1/2 price to crew members.
For a 5 day customer unlimited tanks for $125.00
It figured to be something more than just keep me busy... I was going to have to hump it 7 days a week just to retire the debt in 5 yrs. with no real income to me for that time.
The good thing would be that the dive ops could push the EAN courses and increase their income.
Sounded like waaay more work than I want at this point in my life.

Regards BOSCO

Yep, boscobc, I don't think anyone's getting rich passing gas. Just a thought - it might just be that there isn't supposed to be much profitability in that particular line of business. It may be a loss leader, a necessary function in the overall business environment there that makes the real money off the other things diving provides - dive operations, hotels, restaurants, etc. Without tank fills you don't get divers supporting the rest. It's kinda necessary, ya know. Christi - you getting that Mercedes from your tank fill profits?

Christi - you getting that Mercedes from your tank fill profits?

I was thinking more along the lines of a Bentley :wink:

$800,000 ....Building rental and cost to set up the paper work for business was not included.
I guess I'm not using the Pesos in my ashtray to start a fill station!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom