i3 inflator systems and diver rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IrishPaul

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I completed my Rescue Diver training today - tough but worthwhile.

As you may know, it is important to establish buoyancy during a rescue, for both the victim and the rescuer.
Also, when recovering an unresponsive diver underwater, one technique taught it to ascend using the victims BCD.

Now, I dive with a Pro QD with i3, which I really really like. I show my dive buddies how it operates before we dive together.

However, in the event that I needed rescue, I think I might be in a bit of trouble if the rescuer is not familiar with my setup.

The reason I like my i3, is not that it is more streamlined, but rather the way that it deflates using the upper and lower valves.

Is it possible to have a standard power inflator ADDED, such that I can use my i3 lever, but a would be rescuer would have no issues finding my inflator hose, that is both systems retain functionality?

Thanks,
Paul

p.s. sorry if I should have posted this in the Aqualung section. Please move if appropriate.

You can add one if you want. Buy a standard inflator assembly, unscrew the oral inflation tube at the jacket, and screw in the new standard inflator. Inflate it overnight and make sure it's air tight, all done.

I installed one on my pro qd i3 couple years ago.

Robert

---------- Post Merged at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Also need to add an extra inflator hose on the regulator.

Thanks for the reply.
I will need to keep my 2nd LP port for my drysuit.
I was wondering if some sort of T-connector existed that would allow for either/and operation.

That looks like adding at least 4 more possible failure points. That someone is concerned a non buddy might have trouble rescuing them does not inspire much confidence in the system.
In addition to the nightmare hose routing it would require.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

True, just answering his question. Not sayings its the cleanest, simplest way to go but that's what he asked.

It's not always a wise idea to add or modify gear to solve a gear problem. I see this more as a skill issue. Modifying your BC will only add more problems and in this case I don't see a good trade-off for what you're trying to accomplish.

It would be wiser to dive with a buddy that is thoroughly familiar with your gear, so they can perform a rescue if needed. A good buddy briefing and check can accomplish this.

Additionally it is a much wiser idea to also take steps to prevent a rescue of yourself from ever needing to occur.
Plan your dive; time, air, depth, etc; and dive your plan.
Have good awareness of your environment and position with regard to your buddy.
Keep up to date and be effective in your scuba skills.

Unless the person is very skinny and wearing no weights, why not simply ditch the lead?

That should create positive buoyancy.

jm:
Unless the person is very skinny and wearing no weights, why not simply ditch the lead?

That should create positive buoyancy.

One technique I learned involves cradling the unresponsive divers tank between your knees. Your right hand is over his right shoulder keeping the his reg in his mouth.

Your left hand is over the vics left shoulder, inflating his BCD to lift you both off the bottom. Then you control the ascent of both divers with the vics BCD releasing air as you ascend. If you have a computer on your left wrist, monitoring the ascent is really easy.

With the i3 lever being low and to the left, and if your rescuer doesn't know it, this particular lift technique might not be an option for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom