IANTD e-Learning for Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Has anyone here used the IANTD e-Learning for Cave?

Any opinions of it?

I love the IANTD logos

images.png

I love IANTD

Don’t forget the console and force fins, can’t tech without them.🤣

And leg mounted dive knife and snorkel! That’s a trainwreck I can’t unsee…

Might be time for a update?

Maybe slightly more on-topic: I’ve never had e-learning for any technical training, nor was e-learning ever presented as an option. All of my tech training has been in the last decade. But I have to say that the book portion of all of my tech training all seemed to be treated as an afterthought. In nearly every case I had to sit through a long recitation of the book work, usually sitting at a picnic table at the dive site. As a diligent student, I had already done all of the book work, including the quizzes at the end of each section. Rather than focus on my understanding and what areas I might have gaps or questions, I basically had someone re-reading the same material to me.

I‘ve asked about this and I’ve been told it’s because few students put any effort into reading the material, let alone understanding it, and they do that so they can make sure the student is at least presented with the information.

I don’t know if the e-learning resources are any better than the book, but hopefully it gives the instructor the ability to know a student has reviewed the information and completed the review quizzes — and allow the instructor to review the quizzes to see where the student may need additional support. If that means an instructor doesn’t have to re-read all the material to me out loud sitting at the dive site, I’m all for it.

OK, maybe this isn’t any more on-topic than poking fun at a terrible logo…. But I’ve always wished that the academic portions of scuba training were more valuable and useful…. And the problem is rarely the material itself, nor the way that material is distributed from the agency. It’s the way the scuba instructor uses — or doesn’t use — that material.

Has anyone here used the IANTD e-Learning for Cave?

Any opinions of it?

Do you mean the manuals?
  • IANTD The Tao of Cave Diving
  • And if cave CCR: IANTD Tek CCR Manual
They’re good reading but alongside other suitable books plus the instructor's presentation for the academics

Do you mean the manuals?
  • IANTD The Tao of Cave Diving
  • And if cave CCR: IANTD Tek CCR Manual
They’re good reading but alongside other suitable books plus the instructor's presentation for the academics

He means the e-learning program.

He means the e-learning program.

Ouch. That's an expensive book which should be included in the course costs. Hope the UI allows it to be annotated and searched.

I opted for a TDI e-lerning CBT thing once instead of the book. Was a hateful thing to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom