Ice Diving location Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snow or not Marv, it's trespassing and unfortunately, the landowners around big Tub have a short fuse. They've had to put up with a lot of aggravation over the years and most of it is from divers.
Ice diving in Toby is a lot of fun and we used to go there regularly.
It must be a cold winter for it to be successful in Toby and the last few years have not accommodated that. If the ice is good, you can walk or snowmobile to the Sweeps from Big Tub Resort. Otherwise the Sweeps is out. As you say, it's really frustrating when you finally break through the ice and the wreck is nowhere to be seen!
Again in good years, you can dive the tugs. We were very lucky one year to have solid ice over the anchor but that's rare.

We've had good success at Big Bay for training and sport ice dives. Kirkfield is OK too, Fenelon Falls, Bala above the dam and other places all have merit but Big Bay is close, has parking, has a dock, has shallow and deep water, has restaurants, washrooms and a hospital nearby.
On good years when it's really cold, we usually drive on to the ice with the ice fishermen and circle our hole with our vehicles. It becomes a party!

Hi all,

Here is an idea that might interest you. Since Kingston is blessed with wrecks NTD in co-operation with the Great Lakes Underwater Explorers is considering arranging an ice dive on that site some time in Feb 04 if there is enough interest. We will be running an ice diving course prior to that as well. Drop Tom a note at tom@northerntechdiver.com or 1.613.634.8464 if you are interested. This would be an ice dive you would never forget!

Safe dives,

Dan

PS As well we have our annual Jan 1st dive at 11:00 every year at the Marine Museum.

hey dan i'd be interested, but not sure if im free. Sounds like fun though.

eric

Dan MacKay once bubbled...
Here is an idea that might interest you. Since Kingston is blessed with wrecks NTD in co-operation with the Great Lakes Underwater Explorers is considering arranging an ice dive on that site some time in Feb 04 if there is enough interest. We will be running an ice diving course prior to that as well. Drop Tom a note at tom@northerntechdiver.com or 1.613.634.8464 if you are interested. This would be an ice dive you would never forget!

Thanks for the info. I was looking for someone who was teaching the class. I've already emailed Tom!:)

seahunter once bubbled...
[We've had good success at Big Bay for training and sport ice dives. Kirkfield is OK too, Fenelon Falls, Bala above the dam and other places all have merit but Big Bay is close, has parking, has a dock, has shallow and deep water, has restaurants, washrooms and a hospital nearby.
On good years when it's really cold, we usually drive on to the ice with the ice fishermen and circle our hole with our vehicles. It becomes a party! [/B]

Where is Big Bay?

I dove Toby last weekend, the water is still 39deg, and no sign of ice yet!

is there anything to see at bigbay point? i followed the rop to about 90'.
I actually saw a toilet and the biggest bass i ever saw ther though.

Back
Top Bottom