id book recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like nudis, I'd recommend Pacific Coast Nudibranchs by David Behrens. It's rather old though...

cpalerm:
I'm looking for a good book for marine life identification for the southern/central California region. I dive mostly from Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands.
Any suggestions?

thanks!
Cesar

I understand Paul Humann has a book out for the West Coast. Maybe give it a look & let us know what you think?

Take care,

I have many book for ID of CA critters so here is the list.

Pacific coast pelagic inverterrates
A living Bay (usefull mainly for Monterey bay area but good for other areas of CA)
California Marine life
The rockfish of the pacific northwest
Probably More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast
fishes of the pacific northwest
Coastal Fish Identification: California to Alaska (this is the Paul Humann book refered to in the last post)

These are the ones that I use most often the last book never leaves my truck.
Hopefully this will get you started.

Thanks for the recommendations; I finally found a bookstore that carries most of these titles, so I was able to actually browse through the books.
The two that I chose to start with are:
A Field Guide to Pacific Coast Fishes: North America (Peterson Field Guides), William N. Eschmeyer
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashore Creatures (Audubon Society Field Guide), Norman A. Meinkoth

Back
Top Bottom