Ideal knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned too much is choice of materials.

The *best* knife for the *longest* time will be Titanium.

Note that "stainless steel" is just that -- stainLESS, not stainPROOF. I've had SS knives start to rust within 15 minutes of exiting the water... hardly enough time to rinse them.

Titanium knives, on the other hand, don't even seem to need a rinse.

Titanium obviously resist corrosion a lot better but goos SS that is well maintained will last a long time AND it is a lot stronger. We carry Underwater Kinetics Blue-Tang hydralloy SS knife, and they have never stained or rusted. Just rinse them after each dive, and occasionally spray them with T-9, and they are like new.

pteranodon:
Fishboy, your setup is for sissies.
Real divers carry a baseball bat. We don't need no stinkin' knife!

:D

Its hard swinging a bat underwater, I carry a .357sig Glock. :wink: Its a ***** to clean after each trip though. :shakehead:

fishb0y:
Easy answer... A Seahawk with a 7" blade... serrated edge optional. Knives are weapons and not tools. They should be used to intimidate and show marine life who the boss is.

For those of you new age, metro-sexual whiners who think that a big knife is to 'compensate for a short-coming'... try picking up knitting, it sounds more your speed.

:rofl3: I love it.

letsgodiving:
Titanium obviously resist corrosion a lot better but goos SS that is well maintained will last a long time AND it is a lot stronger. We carry Underwater Kinetics Blue-Tang hydralloy SS knife, and they have never stained or rusted. Just rinse them after each dive, and occasionally spray them with T-9, and they are like new.
Well, my titanium knife cuts as well as the day I bought it... over 200 dives ago. And it's been rinsed... well, never -- unless you count when the BC gets rinsed. But it never comes out of its sheath for a rinse unless it got something sticky on it (e.g. it was used to cut pineapple... :) )

I haven't dived anyplace where I need a knife yet, but I'm adding the oft-recommended EMT scissors to my kit in case I do. Cheap and useful, according to people I've talked to.

KrisB:
Well, my titanium knife cuts as well as the day I bought it... over 200 dives ago. And it's been rinsed... well, never -- unless you count when the BC gets rinsed. But it never comes out of its sheath for a rinse unless it got something sticky on it (e.g. it was used to cut pineapple... :) )

Titanium is good for sure but it isn't as strong as SS. I would rather save $30-$40 and buy a good SS knife.

I actually like cleaning my dive gear so a little TLC isn't a problem. I am the same with my guns, they get a full strip down after each range trip. Its strange really because I am a naturally lazy person but I have always taken care of my personal possessions.

Two issues with titanium that I forgot to mention. It is much harder than steel which also tends to make them more brittle. The edge is extremely hard but they cannot be tempered the same way steel can so a titanium is not so good for prying and things like that.

Titanium is the only known metal that is not reactive with chlorine (at the temperatures we use it for). If your gear gets pool exposure this might be important to you. Yes, I know you don't need a knife in the pool but I have seen guys especially with B/C knives that don't remove them.

BTW that rescue hook is pretty slick isn't it.

I've got a Big Old US Divers knife with a bright orange grip, with 7 one inch marks on the blade to measure stuff, fish scaler serrations on the back and a heavy chromed butt cap. The dang thing must weigh 3 lbs. But it is great. I've chopped small trees with it, opened coconuts, pryed just about everything, and hammered the snot out of other stuff with the butt end.

The thing is prectically indestructable, have to sharpen it frequently as it is stainless but I'd won't leave home without it.

letsgodiving:
Titanium is good for sure but it isn't as strong as SS. I would rather save $30-$40 and buy a good SS knife.

I actually like cleaning my dive gear so a little TLC isn't a problem. I am the same with my guns, they get a full strip down after each range trip. Its strange really because I am a naturally lazy person but I have always taken care of my personal possessions.

Wow, I really hate cleaning stuff, which is partly why I'm going to be renting reg & BCD for a while ;-)

Back
Top Bottom