Ideas for ultralight solo rig for petite diver gal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I meant the whole rig is heavy to trudge across sand for a shore dive or to climb a ladder with, but I was renting aluminum 80's so if I could go back to a steel 72 or something like that maybe I could carry a 19 if I had help rigging, practice, and maybe some gym training. I have back pain already that comes and goes so trying to avoid that!
What BCD do you dive now? There are some lighter weight options as Nemrod pointed out but without going the full minimalist route.

Steel 72 are nice weight wise but for backmount and as a petite female they are a bit long for me at least. Look at the HP 80's. Or even the 100's. They are often available to rent in the WPB area. I have a set of all three but love the 80's best. Taller divers often complain of trim issues but I haven't had a problem with them. And at least one dive shop in the WPB area will give a really sweet fill on HP tanks.

Don't rule out another 13 cf or even the 6. I would guess your sac probably runs pretty darn low and the 6 cf should give enough for a decent ascent and 3 minute stop at 15 but no real margin of error. Add a lighter reg set, preferably one that you can detune to lower the risk of freeflow. Very doable. Leisurepro has a 6 for around 100 dollars shipped. The regulator will be the pricier item. Used is an option but then you got the cost of service. Then of course there is the ... Spare Air. There, I said it.

Off topic.
For chronic back pain you don't need a gym. Routine core exercises are key. Yoga is wonder for this and many other health issues. I attended a conference where Dr Metzl, a well know sport medicine physician in NY recommends planks for all his back pain patients. Basically you hold the yoga plank position for 1 minute. Rest and repeat for three sets of one minute each. Great for core. And if you have wrist issues you can do them on your elbows. Once you got this down you can rotate with side planks. :D After that days session he had the resort erect a tent at the beach and he held a plyometric session. :eek:

This is a pic from the internet of him demonstrating the plank...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
No problem. I tend to get a little carried away when I try to help. I'll butt out now. :p

Another option for a nice, lightweight solo rig would be a Stealth (or other lightweight sidemount rig) and a pair of AL40's. This gives you the equivalent (slightly higher, actually) gas volume to a single AL80, and a fully redundant air source. I know a very petite gal locally who dives such a rig and loves it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another option for a nice, lightweight solo rig would be a Stealth (or other lightweight sidemount rig) and a pair of AL40's. This gives you the equivalent (slightly higher, actually) gas volume to a single AL80, and a fully redundant air source. I know a very petite gal locally who dives such a rig and loves it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I would love to demo that

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I love the idea of mini doubles in SM and for shore dives it could be a sweet option. But the reality of boat dives in South Florida in SM not so much. She would need two set ups to have enough for a 2 tank trip and getting back on the boat, up the ladder rigged, would be a challenge. She could arrange to hand off the tanks but I think the effort would not be worth the benefit, especially in sporty seas.

Now if I get to continue with SM cave @gfaith idea has appeal. See post 16.

The $1200 Sidemount Diver

When are those biotech guys gonna get busy growing our gills?

I'm also going to weigh in on the side mount (as a non-side mount guy), so take my recommendations with a grain of salt...I agree that the double 40 cf could be nice, light-weight option with good redundancy. Having watched side mount guys on the surface, however, the rig just doesn't seem the best for trudging over the sand. I really like having my rig tight on my back for walking any distance. As uncfnp said above, this rig would also complicate boat diving, requiring a total of four 40 cf tanks. Here's my vote for a lightweight, warm-water rig that would work well for boat and beach diving...

AL backplate with wing and basic harness, 71 cf HP steel tank, 19/13 cf pony. By my calculations, this whole rig will weigh about 57 lbs. This includes the plate, wing, harness, both tanks, valves, regulators, and full tanks.

For a beach dive in less than 30' of water, I would be comfortable leaving the pony behind and relying on a CESA if necessary. That would shed about 17 lbs or so for the beach trudge. On a boat, the pony could easily be carried aboard, and the 71s easily swapped out between dives. YMMV.

@aquacat8 get that weight off your back. Here is a thought shore diving <30 semi monkey style. The DECO SM harness with a single AL63 on one side only. I admit my wife/buddy has not tried that, but she gets over an hour shore diving a single AL63 back mounted. Here are a few photos of her in the SM rig.
DECO SM3small.jpg DECO SM small 5.jpg

She is diving 2 AL80s there on the right. I will get her to try a single AL80 this weekend just for kicks. By the way she is diving a 5 mil with only 2lbs in fresh water there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom