If Cozumel is #1... where is #2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I was going more for if a list of top affordable/great diving locations was being made, Coz would be at the top. What would be your contender for #2."

There are 2 very different metrics here; cost/trip vs. cost/dive. For the latter, CocoView (Roatan), Bonaire, Key Largo (squeezing in 2 2-tank trips/day with Rainbow Reef Dive Center) or a live-aboard trip would be the way to go.

For the former, well, that's a little different. If we're after a cheap overall trip, even with airfare, from a south-central or eastern U.S. origin...

1.) Cozumel, one of the best, yeah.

2.) Key Largo, Florida. And the more people you pack into a hotel room at little added charge, or split up the vehicle rental, the cheaper per person you get.

3.) Blackbeard's, Juliet, Lost Island Voyages, in the Bahamas, all live-aboards.

4.) 5 Day live-aboard trips out of California to the (Northern or Southern) Channel Islands, such as with Truth aquatics. Good way to cram a lot of diving into a fairly short trip. A 5 day limited load Southern Channel Islands trip. I'll detail it a little at the end of this e-mail. California diving is more seasonally varied than some Caribbean locations. It's also colder, not so much 'reef' diving, and the dive culture doesn't cater to having a guide lead newbies on underwater group tours. How badly do you want to see kelp forest & sea lions?

5.) IIRC, Cayman Brac Beach Resort (is that still the name?) has some specials that are good. I don't know how air fare there is. C.B. seems to be caught between having less topside to do than Grand Cayman, but a rep. for being almost as good as Little Cayman, but it's still an A.I. option for some of the best diving in the Caribbean, or so I'm told. Haven't dove L.C. or C.B.; maybe someday.

6.) Bonaire can be done fairly budget; it's the airfare you've gotta work around. Maybe book with Cheap-O air and use Insel, go through Curacao, accept some loose interpretations of departure times and maybe break a sweat a time or two along the way (did this route once), then stay off the water, such as at Dive Hut. Keep costs down a bit if you can drive a stick instead of an automatic transmission truck, and buy groceries & mostly eat in. If you can stay 2 weeks at a time, your cost/person/week drops because that airfare is figured over a longer time.

Richard.

P.S.: Planning a California trip has turned out to be more involved than some places. I hope to make an extensive post about it later, but here's what I'm looking at for an August 15th (board that night), 2016 5 day Southern Channel Islands limited load (fewer customers, more room) trip I booked quite awhile back:

1.) $1,123. The live-aboard, includes all meals and regular air fills.

2.) $610.59. Round-trip airfare from Nashville, TN to Santa Barbara, CA.

3.) $120. Round-trip baggage, 2 checked bags.

4.) Gear rental (e.g.: 95 cf steel tank, weights, maybe a 7 mm wetsuit, got my own hood, gloves, boots & other stuff) - I don't recall what that ran.

5.) Roughly around $200 hotel for 1 night. Get back Saturday evening, can't spend that night on the boat, local lodging ain't cheap.

6.) Cab fare from airport to & from Truth Aquatic's boat: $55 going, let's say $75 coming back due to side trip to hotel for the night, and 2 cabs used; maybe $130 plus tip?

Probably looking at somewhere in the grand ball park of $2,300 plus tips for live-aboard, various shuttle & taxi drivers, eating out the evening the boat gets back, etc...? For the option to get in a bunch of diving. And I plan on nitrox, which will be an up charge. Throw in some airport food and let's call it $2,500.

P.S.#2: Maybe not what you guys are looking for, but for others looking at a budget trip out of the Texas area, it might be worth a look at The M/V Fling Charters, for 2 or 3 day live-aboard trips. Undercurrent's got a free review online about it. Pretty stiff drive from the Dallas area, but probably close enough to justify skipping airfare & baggage chargers, plus you could bring your own tanks.

Richard.

If it was me I would use airline miles to fly somewhere that is normally kind of high to fly to but cheap to stay and dive. My limited experience would be Roatan. Take a look at Seagrape just outside of West End. Nice clean rooms for around $60 a night. Onsite dive shop with great stay and dive packages. The only problem is that there is about a 10 minute walk to any place to eat. I didn't loose any weight when I was there though.

In defense of doc -Cozumel is generally over-rated when it comes to the diving. It has two things that do set it apart. 1) viz, 2) Some gargantuan vertical coral reef structures. It's great draw really is it's in Mexico, you get that exotic factor compared to Florida. But Florida is WAAAAAAAAY more fishy and WAAAAAAAY more diverse and eye popping when it comes to marine life. You can see more real sharks (not nurse sharks) in a week of diving in Florida then you can see in 20 years of diving Cozumel. Florida has aggregations that are just amazing. Florida has a shark aggregation that is crazy! Florida has a grouper aggregation that is crazy! Dolphins in Florida, Dolphins in Cozumel a once in a life time experience. Hammer heads in Cozumel... maybe once in 500 peoples life time, great white sharks in Cozumel... never...wreck diving? Cozumel has a sad one. Florida is a wreck diving paradise. As I said Cozumel has great viz, some crazy vertical reef structure that is unique there and is a fun place because you're in Mexico, the diving is good, but in realty it's a bit over-rated. Doesn't mean it's a place to ignore going to dive there, far be it, but let's face it, increase the distance and the costs to go to Cozumel and a lot of it's appeal would quickly be tarnished. Not saying Cozumel sucks, but let's keep the diving in perspective, good stuff, better than a lot of the rest of the Caribbean, but the marine life experience minus their splendid toad fish is pretty darn generic.

These are sharks you could see in Florida.
B84MuLoCAAAL_sk.jpg

These are the sharks you will likely ever see in multiple trips to cozumel
Ammenhai_unter_Riff_942x380.ashx

Florida indeed has great diversity, spread out over a large area. And that needs to factor into trip planning. Example:

1.) Diver 1 spends a week diving out of Key Largo.

2.) Diver 2 spends a week diving out of Jupiter (either in the spring lemon shark migration or fall goliath grouper aggregation).

3.) Diver 3 spends a couple of days diving at Blue Heron Bridge, on a trip doing other things with family.

4.) Diver 4 does some 'artificial reef' (deliberately planted wreck) off the 'emerald coast' (west coast) of Florida, including a couple of Oriskany dives one week.

Each of these guys brings home pictures, video & a story of their trip, to share at their local dive shop. None of their experiences will match up. Closest you might get is if the Key Largo did a few deep wreck dives, such as on the Spiegel Grove and Duane (compared to the West Coast guy).

Richard.

P.S.: And I left out West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, a number of springs (e.g.: Ginnie Springs), cave diving...

Last edited:
I forgot all about Blue Heron Bridge, that's a Florida dive site that borders on almost being a phenomenon.

What time of year are you planning to travel? That can make a difference in pricing.

The recently remodeled Cayman Brac Beach Resort offers an all-inclusive package that includes lodging, diving, all meals, airport transfers, alcoholic beverages, taxes, and service charges. The only things not covered are the airfare and the dive shop tips. You can usually find reasonable airfare to Grand Cayman and then you will have to pay another $50 to $100 for RT air to Cayman Brac.

The diving is excellent, the food is buffet style but very good, the dive op is onsite and terrific and they provide full valet dive services at no extra cost. The boat rides to the reef are short. The hotel offers a small gym, a small spa, a huge infinity pool, and some nightly entertainments. It's a little higher than your $2500 lodging and diving max but it includes food and almost everything else.

The island is clean and safe, the locals are friendly and speak English with a lovely Caribbean accent, but there's not a lot to do topside except relax and enjoy nature. It's a hard deal to beat IMO!

Cayman Island Dive Packages |Brac Reef Beach Resort

THE CLEARLY CAYMAN PACKAGE
Valid for travel Jan. 1 – Dec. 16 2016
7 Nights Accommodations
FAP Meal Plan
Three Drinks Nightly
17 Boat Dives
Airport Ground Transfers
Free Welcome Rum Punch
Manager’s Cocktail Reception

$1725 (USD per person/double occupancy)

Last edited:
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread! So much good information; from several perspectives.

Back
Top Bottom