If Cozumel is #1... where is #2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush627

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Holy Guacamole, I'm overwhelmed. o_O :confused: On the hunt for a good combination of affordability and great diving. General consensus is Coz would be #1, so where would be #2?

I've spent the past week researching Belize, to the point that I am second guessing myself. We've already been to Cozumel and loved it. Was just hoping to try somewhere different this time.

Planning for July (husband's bday). We are certified, although sadly it's usually a few years in between trips. So... looking for suggestions on a somewhat inexpensive dive trip. We are using AA miles for flight, so that is not a huge factor. Main focus of the trip will be diving, although if we do end up in Belize, I want to do a Cave Tubing excursion. Lodging needs to be motel 6ish at least (no hostels), for 5-7 nights. Meals included is not a deal breaker as long as it is a good value. If no meals, access to good food. Dive operator on site or very close; would prefer not to have to lug equipment around.

Here is roughly what I am working against: Ramon's/Sunbreeze 5 or 7 night trips with dives for $1900-$2500 total for two divers, including flight to San Pedro. Some options include breakfast. That is really the way upper end of where we would like to be.

Thanks!

Not sure I understand correctly. Are you after a trip for 2, with a $2,500 cost ceiling for airfare, resort and diving, for both? $1,250 apiece? Or is the return flight an added cost?

I ask because you are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel on cost if that's your budget with airfare. Unless of course, your AA miles for flight mean the airfare cost is negligible (although will round trip checked baggage costs be?).

For budget dive trips, consider...

1.) Key Largo, Florida - where with a multi-trip package, you may get a really low cost/dive. My trip report with Rainbow Reef Dive Center.

2.) Airfare is a big part of the cost of a Bonaire trip; if you could negate that, it could be a workable way to get a lot of diving in, and it'd be different from Cozumel.

3.) Are you open to a live-aboard? If Blackbeard's is too rustic for you, what about the Juliet? Total cost for 2 without airfare may exceed your $2,500, but consider the number of dives you might get on the trip.

Richard.

Not sure I understand correctly. Are you after a trip for 2, with a $2,500 cost ceiling for airfare, resort and diving, for both? $1,250 apiece? Or is the return flight an added cost?

I ask because you are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel on cost if that's your budget with airfare. Unless of course, your AA miles for flight mean the airfare cost is negligible (although will round trip checked baggage costs be?).

Oops... I may have made a mess of that. I was going more for if a list of top affordable/great diving locations was being made, Coz would be at the top. What would be your contender for #2.

For budget dive trips, consider...

1.) Key Largo, Florida - where with a multi-trip package, you may get a really low cost/dive. My trip report with Rainbow Reef Dive Center.

Something to think about for a domestic trip. Hoping to go a bit further this time.

2.) Airfare is a big part of the cost of a Bonaire trip; if you could negate that, it could be a workable way to get a lot of diving in, and it'd be different from Cozumel.

May be best to ignore my airfare bit... just looking at lodging and diving in the $1500-$2500 range.

3.) Are you open to a live-aboard? If Blackbeard's is too rustic for you, what about the Juliet? Total cost for 2 without airfare may exceed your $2,500, but consider the number of dives you might get on the trip.

Live-aboard is on the bucket list, but not for this trip. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
I would say Roatan or Bonaire for non-US destinations and Key Largo for US destinations.

Since it sounds like its been a few years in-between dives Scuba Club Cozumel would be the best for you! All-Inclusive and real easy drift dives to ease you back into it.

Roatan - here's one reasonable option this year:

2 for 1 Travel Deal | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

Upper end of your budget: Luna Beach Resort - Dive Package Rates
However dinner is on you and they don't serve so that's 10mins. walk/water taxi ride away in the West End also daily.

Splash Inn is a more basic option in the West End some people like - I'd only buy breakfast in the package as lunch/dinner is an easy walk to all the nearby West End options - there's at least a dozen or so nearby. Home | Roatan Splash Inn | Roatan Dive Resorts

You don't really need a car unless you specifically want one - everything in the West End is walking distance. If you're not staying at a resort with a shuttle, the cab ride is about $25 from the airport.

And you can use your AA miles - plus on Saturday morning there's a 3hr non-stop each way: DFW->RTB

Price Cocoview also but I think it's over your budget. It's the definitive dive resort on Roatan. Availability in July could also be an issue, it's popular. Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort

A little more basic and a little farther removed is Reef House Resort also. Reef House Resort

all of the above are just suggestions - except I've spent some time at Anthony's Key.

Last edited:
You can do a lot better pricewise on Bonaire than Buddy Dive since every resort, apt, etc. has a dive pkg. option. Staying off the water is substantially cheaper. Buddy's, Habitat, Divi etc. price per Person in their dive pkgs - many of the other options have a per room/apt. rate and you add a dive pkg. for >$200 more. Also can bundle a truck rental with most. Although ABCarrental has such good prices you may save more with them.

In the OP's case, American does not fly to Bonaire.

Last edited:
CocoView Roatan is a great value once you factor in 4-6 dives per day, all the food, valet dive service, and rooms over the water or waterfront. Small and cozy, a/c, but no pool or tv. Oh and no kids. Just perfect for people like us.

after that.... we do like Buddy Dive Bonaire, but food is expensive so you must get a kitchen and make many meals yourself.

....General consensus is Coz would be #1.....

"I reject you reality and substitute my own". -Mythbusters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom