If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having had a 22 year career in the sea urchin diving business, I have lost two friends to diving episodes - one heart attack, one shark bite. Several others of us have died, or sustained moderate to severe injuries. Like you, our recreational counterparts, we're doing something we love to do, and accept the inherent risks involved. We do all we can to dive safely, check our equipment, keep track of our bottom time, watch our partners, then hope for a safe dive.

To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt: "We will never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

TK

jdarnall2001:
This is wonderful. Thank you OP and everyone else who added to it and changed it around. I added one last line to mine at the very end...

If I should NOT die while diving but shall forever live this life in a vegetative state, please love me enough to let me go.
Besides signing a living will and health care proxy, I gave my internist and my wife specific, non-ambigous instructions in case I'm ever in a "persistant vegetative state", or even just screwed up so badly that I have no hope of a normal life.

I told him:

"If I'm ever really screwed and you're looking at me wondering if I want to continue existing or not, call my dog's vet for a second opinion.

I want the same treatment and compassion my dog got when she couldn't get up off the floor or go outside. I want the "Big Happy Shot""

So now it's on the internet too. With any luck, my wishes won't be ambigous.

Terry

Well put, Web Monkey

I am not a morbid person: I intensly love life and all the stimulation it offers. For me, diving saved my life in some respects. And yet we all know we all will meet the same fate somehow.

I logged on to the Board today for the first time in a while, and I did so because I saw yet another [three this week?] report of a a diver's death. I was curious. And I want to learn, thanks to you in more ways than one.

I have not been on the Board lately, because of distractions in my life that would have left me or most people depressed and figuratively dead but maybe I was saved by the occassional dive I have had recently [and that being thanks to my diving friends who know my enthusiasm for our world]. So, I say, diving saved my life--in a number of ways-- in perhaps the most important respects.

I say, to family and friends, as I about to go on a perhaps challenging dive trip, "If I don't come back, I had a good time." I tell this to my children.... And it is true. It is a privilege to see what we get to see, and to feel what we get to feel. And then we die.

Thanks for this thread. I, too, will print out the guidance sans the no-suing part [for good reasons I hope don't distract us here]. And I will join all of you on the other side.

desiredbard:
If it would ever happen to me...please dont bring me up.... quite happy sleeping with the fishes. And i really am not joking
well put...Leave me there too....better than above the water

Here is my addendum:
I would like to add one more thing. While the need for vengeance is understandable, I would ask that my survivors resist the temptation to sue someone (and there will be legal demons whispering temptations in your ear.) If after all of the investigation is complete, it appears that gross negligence was involved, then feel free to do what you feel is best. I have a personal aversion to the litigious nature of our society, and don't want someone sued just because I was doing what I love.

I specifically ask that you not sue my dive buddy or his/her survivors. If I selected them as a dive buddy, then I trusted them and they trusted me. I'd rather that trust continue even after a tragedy.

I've mentioned this to my daughter before, but she'll forget. I finally got around to sending her this today, with copies to a couple of trusted friends....
We all gotta got sometime. You mentioned recently that "since i have a dangerous sport, we should spend more time together now" and I replied that I thought that would be a good idea...

For me - it's much more likely to happen on the road than scuba diving. Nonetheless, I am going to borrow a text from an experienced diver - posted on www.Scubaboard.com, change a few words to fit my feelings, and add some additional ideas.

In the unlikely event that this ever comes to pass, please accept these requests listed below, then go to SBoard, sign up as a member, introduce yourself on the Accidents forum as DandyDon's daughter, and post this, okay...??

If I should die while diving.

If I should die while diving please do not hesitate to encourage others to discuss the incident and assess every element with a view to furthering their understanding of how to enhance diver safety.

Get the facts. They won't be readily available and will definitely not be correct as reported by the media. But get the facts as best you can.

Please understand, as I already do, that it will most likely involve fault on my part to some degree or another so do not hesitate to point that out and tell others it's fine to discuss this on SB as well. They already know that I'm human, that I do push the limits, and that I make mistakes.

Some of the fault may possibly belong to my buddy and that needs to be honestly assessed as well though I must admit this is one area where I hope that compassion will be in the mix. If thought so, please convey to him/her your forgiveness - and that I'll kick his/her butt later. True or not, encourage him/her to seek assistance with what's known as Critical Incident Stress.

There might be those who try to squelch discussion out of a misplaced notion of respect for the deceased, family and friends. They can say nice things about me at my funeral, but in the scuba community I want the incident discussed.

I am well insured through Divers Alert Network www.diversalertnetwork.org - so call them to discuss what benefits are available to pay for any expenses of shipping me home, etc. If I lose any expensive equipment, they should pay you for that, as well as other possible expenses and loses. If I am out of the country, you should also have a copy of my Trip Insurance.

If I should only be lost at sea and presumed dead, perhaps encourage the Coast Guard to look a little longer as I am more of a survivor than most, or call your Congressman and ask him to use any influence on the foreign country's government to do so.

However, please also advise that we do not want anyone taking any risks, especially if enough time has past that there's no hope for finding me alive. You don't need my body to have whatever services you'd like to have. Those caskets and vaults are expensive anyway.

Please do tell and remind people that I thought life was more important for living than simply extending, and I'd much rather go at sea than rotting in an old folks' home.

You have my USMC paperwork for an official request through proper channels to request a honor guard, but call the Staff Officer-In-Charge at the Lubbock Reserve unit to advise them immediately, advising that I was a member of that unit during the Viet Nam funerals, that I served on a few of those myself, and that we appreciate them being there for us. We do take care of our own in the Corps.

your Dad

I must say this thread seems very morbid, so one day we won't be. :shakehead You only need to make plans for salvaging your buddies dive gear.:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom