If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, thanks! I'll be adding a slightly modified version to my files as well.

Second, I agree with scuba on his comments on dherbman's reply.

Sure, we might just be beating a dead horse by reporting and analyzing every accident, but it's a horse that needs to be beaten.

Besides, you never know exactly what minor detail someone will take away from an incident report that will save their life or make them a better diver.

If I die uw, SAVE OR RECOVER MY CAMERA. If possible, there will be an indication and/or a final message to love ones. (maybe even a not so nice message to not so loved ones :D)

Regarding not suing, and playing devil's advocate, what if a fill station filled with contaminated air and was undetectable at the surface? (I know it is suppose to have a funny taste to it, luckily, I have never experienced bad air yet.)

What if a dive boat abandon's you at a dive site?

Gross negligence should not be exempt from law suits. However, the buddies I dive with are exempt, even if they abandon me, since my ultimate safety is my responsibility.

I hate to see a clause meant with good intentions be used to argue against a love ones suite against gross negligence.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT sue happy.

Discussing accidents and mishaps is a good thing. Even if other divers are aware of safety procedures to prevent said accident, it will always help hone their skills. Whether they realize it or not. (imo)

Uncle Pug:
I received this email from my daughter recently:

I love you. I read your post online. I didn't check when you wrote it but it was interesting. Almost poetic….

I had posted *If I should die while diving* on another board several years ago and my daughter found it while Googling my name. My wife though I should post it here on Scuba Board as well.

Well said Uncle Pug.

dherbman:
Certainly better than the TOS excerpts he's been posting lately. :wink:
So you noticed as well. The heavy hat of a moderator LOL

Well, I guess I should remove "avenge my death" and "I'm taking you all with me" from my "if I should die while diving" list...

Seriously though, a very moving post and and excellent notion. All of us should leave something behind to ease our potential passing for our loved ones, particularly those that don't dive and can't understand the passion (obsession).

On a religious note, I'd add "I was closer to God underwater than I ever was on land."

A

Reading this thread is like a breath of fresh air.

On this board I have read alot concerning death while diving for educational purposes. I cant believe all of the "lets not speculate" and "have repect for the dead" crap I have read here. I wanna read about the rumors, speculation, facts and lies. I've always believed in the idioism "where there is smoke there is fire. With in the lies there is truth.

If I die I want you all to know that I was idiot who did not check my gear before I dove without a dive plan with a buddy who got his open water cert at a resort where they dont speak English.

Interesting. My pilot friends and I routinely discussed this sort of thing too.

I told my friends and family that if I died in a plane crash, that unless somebody actually saw significant portions of the airplane fall off prior to the crash, that I was probably a bonehead, and they should resist the urge to sue.

Most important though, that if they considered it necessary to stand around crying, to at least do it over a gigantic grill, while cooking the steaks, on the first available sunny day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom