If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir, it’s a well constructed sentiment, but with all due respect, you’re not planning to leave us anytime soon are you? And Bob (NWGratfulDiver) I may never quite enjoy a Dungeness crab again with that image in my mind. UNCLEAN! Regards, Kirk

Kirk... no, not planning on it... but knowing that if I did die while diving folks would talk anyway... I just figured I give them my blessing ahead of time.

Embrace the inevitable.

BTW.... death in one form or another is... inevitable. I'm ready.

Uncle Pug:
BTW.... death in one form or another is... inevitable. I'm ready.

Amen Uncle Pug. Each day is yet another undeserved blessing. I'm ready as well.

I just hope I get to try my new dry suit first.

Interesting how dealing with death and a most certain sadness can be discussed in a positive fashion.

UP thank you. I will print it out and add what Mr. Inman said.

On a side note. I'd ask that they get my body back. Decomposing divers really are disgusting. So, please inflate my BWOD and send my limp lifeless body to the surface like a ballistic missile.

I adopt what Inman said, too.
I'll have to think more about what to do with my body. I like the crabs idea. But, then I don't want to pollute. Still, there are a whole lot of people who say they want to dance on my grave, and I'd like to make that part hard for them.

Well stated UP!

I just wanted to add that everything I do related to this sport is done expressly so that I don't die. This includes my training, reconfiguring my equipment, practicing skills as a part of every dive, even reading incident reports.

Something worth pointing out is that only the actual incident analysis is useful. The reports that are squelched "waiting for the facts to come out" and then swept under the rug don't help the next guy. The details that don't come out because people are afraid of getting sued definitely don't help the next guy. The condolence threads make everyone feel better but tend to be moderated "in case relatives might read them" absolutely positively don't help the next guy. We learn from mistakes, that is just part of being human. That can only happen if we learn the facts, or as much of the facts as we can.

[/soapbox]

If I should die while diving (DiverBuoy Modified).

... post pictures, video, interviews, autopsy report, documenation, dive logs ON the Internet. The more information you can provide the more lively the discussion and if it saves a life that would rock too.

... no question it was MY fault NOT my buddies, the divemaster, the boat, the manufacturer, the resort, the LDS, my many instructors and mentors, genetics, my childhood or genology, race, creed, or religion and certainly had nothing to do with my family or God. The actual cause of my death was my choice DIVING and besides most of these folks will feel badly enough without your help, please honor my last wish and leave them out of it.

... though I know you can't leave my body where you found it, please return as quickly as possible with my ashes, do not sprinkle them ceremoniously in the wind while boating over the dive site. Just DUMP the contents over the stern and motor away as fast as possible, please be cautious and protect your eyes, nose and mouth.

... do NOT erect any plaques, statues, memorials or start any dedications or funds, do rinse out the urn with mild soap and water and find another use for it.

... NO ... YOU can't have it, my gear goes to my buddy as compensation for what he had put up with and also as an incentive to get back in the water. Private message to my buddy: throw away anything even remotely suspected of contributing to my death. Also if the thought of using my gear gives you the heebies, just sell it, and do my widow and orphans some honor.

... quickly get over any phases of grief, like denial, sadness, anger, depression, or for that matter any recollections of joy or reminiscing ... both will tie you down unnecessarily to my memory, get over it, move on.

... KEEP DIVING, treat anything you heard or read as insignificantly as a single bubble expelled from your exhaust tee on it's way to the surface.

(FINE PRINT: This represents my official position on this matter and must be considered binding and legal. My personal position is this should override the opinions and wishes of any authority personal or public, even if they claim to "know" me, or that "he wouldn't want it that way".)

If I should die while diving. If I should die while diving please do not hesitate to discuss the incident and assess every element with a view to furthering your understanding of how to enhance diver safety. get the facts. They won't be readily available and will definitely not be correct as reported by the media. But get the facts as best you can. understand, as I already do, that it will most likely involve fault on my part so do not hesitate to point that out. but do not blame my buddy for he will have alot on his mind of my death all ready. there might be those who try to squelch discussion out of a misplaced notion of respect for the deceased, family and friends. do not reopen wounds of my death eather.They can say nice things about me at my funeral... but in the scuba community I want the incident discussed i want my ash taking back to the spot where i dead and left on the bottom for thats where i trealy belong. is 100+ ft below the water

Nice post UP!!

BTW, if you did die today I would still be..."lost, even with a compass"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom