If traveling to Mexico...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The locals typically have the same type of "flora" in their digestive tract that you'd find in the water and are used to it which is why it doesn't affect them. One of the reasons you may feel "off" when you're in other (typically developing) countries is because your body is exposed to different bacteria which start to wrestle with your existing and quite happy bacteria. When that happens all hell can break loose and by loose I mean loose. Sometimes Montezuma is more than that like potentially crypto or other things that would affect even the locals but typically it's just the mild wrestling type. Its uncomfortable but can be avoided by following the suggestions in this thread.

I travel to rural Mexico 10-12 times a year and have NEVER seen the locals drink the tap water - ever. They will many times go out of their way to warn you about drinking it as well. They all buy Agua-Pura for drinking and cooking.

They only use the tap or delivered water for washing, bathing and watering their plants.

In my few trips to Mexico over the past couple of years I've had one fairly severe bout that was controlled pretty easily by drugs (couldn't go diving one day). On my other trips, since then, I've generally had one "uneasy" day but nothing uncontrollable.

I've found that trying to just eat/drink reasonably while travelling is the best advice. Sometimes you get a touch, but, oh well.

(Note -- once in Botswana, a member of our tour ended up on IV Fluids due to "the revenge" but she was up and going in 24 hours -- and we were hours (many hours!) from any outside medical help. It does help to travel with a doc.)

most restaurants in the Riviera Maya know that visitors do not want to get sick. there is an antibacterial liquid used to cut out all the stuff that may effect people. Also everyone is different. Some people have weak stomachs, some have stomachs of steal.

It is case dependant

I live close to XpuHa in Mexico (between Playa del Carmen and Tulum) but I'm not mexican, so I'm not saying this because of my mexican pride.

(I'm not saying this is what happened to you OcanMist) A lot of tourists, mostly from US, likes to eat a lot of "spicy tacos" and spicy mexican food, helped with a lot of margaritas.
The mexican food is really strong (even if you are from Texas). After 3 days, they can't leave the bathroom if you know what i mean.

Believe me on this, EVERY RESPECTABLE HOTEL IN THE AREA IS GOING TO PROVIDE YOU WITH GOOD FRESH WATER. Even the ice. And I mean most of the hotels, even the cheap ones. I can assure you they know the tourism is the only Riviera Maya industry.

But if you go to "the real thing" restaurant (where the locals go), don't ask for a "jamaica" water. Ask for a beer or a coke.

And let me say something more, (feeling proud this time because I was working here). During the last hurricanes, the ones that literally destroyed New Orleans, when Bush and the US army didn't know what to do, the Mayan Riviera recovered in 2 weeks!!!!

The Mexicans in the area lives from and for the tourism, they know their business.

Regards.
Alex

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom