If you could change one thing about the dive industry, what would it be??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd change the infighting.

You're PADI/BSAC/YMCA/SSI...? Who cares?
You're DIR? Good for you.
You dive a unusual set up? If it works for you and is safe, I don't give a flying monkey's. (Old Shakespearian phrase there...)
You're into gas mixes? So what?

Live and let dive people.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Other than a little DIR vs non-DIR, I've never seen any infighting. I've seen lots of disagreements over how courses should be taught, but that's a totally different concept.

cpe111:
Just saw this thread - imo - everyone should use the metric system to dive - no more confusion :)

Paul.

Sorry, but metric makes little sense IMNSHO. I don't mind that you use it, but don't try to force others into your little box.

Walter:
Other than a little DIR vs non-DIR, I've never seen any infighting. I've seen lots of disagreements over how courses should be taught, but that's a totally different concept.

Where I am there is a big thing about PADI vs BSAC vs SAA (offshoot of CMAS I think...). Lots of backbiting and general nonsence that has nothing to do with trying to teach students the best way.

Also if you dive non-standard equipment (wing etc) you're pretty much shunned by the vast majority of the local diving community. And I think that's rubbish. Do what you want as long as you do it safe is my motto.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Walter:
Improve the quality of training. Unfortunately, the trend is in the other direction and is not likely to change.

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt jumping.

Amen to that brother!!!!

Walter:
Sorry, but metric makes little sense IMNSHO. I don't mind that you use it, but don't try to force others into your little box.
Care to, uh, elaborate...?

reduce the book work to pertinant information only. ( removing all the propaganda sanf BS information filling that space with real world information. Mske OW manditory 25 dives and AOW 50 dives. Im sorry but the amount of pertanant information in the OW books can be taught to a monkey in 1 or 2 classes. Its putting that information into use and using it properly where the courses fail. what its like 4 or 5 jumps to complete OW. such a joke I think it puts more people into harms way. With some of the questions posted on here I dont know how the heck people got certified at all and if some of them are indeed certified that got pushed in one door and our the other like processing cattle. It really is a shame too. I think the industry is going to colapse on it self one day because of it.

Walter:

Most of the instructors i have spoken to around here (colorado) believe metric is a much simpler system and much easier to understand.

Little box ? .. there are only 2 countries in the World that have not officially adopted the metric system - one is a little known country called Burma, the other is the US. I think you need to re-evaulate your little box :)

cpe111:
Most of the instructors i have spoken to around here (colorado) believe metric is a much simpler system and much easier to understand.

Little box ? .. there are only 2 countries in the World that have not officially adopted the metric system - one is a little known country called Burma, the other is the US. I think you need to re-evaulate your little box :)
So do I. The metric system actually makes sense, which is something I cannot at all say about the imperial system. I can understand Walter's comment since imperial is something us Merkins have grown up with and are just used to, but it really does not make any sense at all. It's a tragedy it still exists.

The little box is not the metric system, but rather the controling mind set that wants to force others to conform to their way of doing things. That's a rather tiny box.

You want to use metric, go ahead, it doesn't bother me at all. Why should me using the imperial system bother you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom