If you had my budget what would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh:
But if this was YOUR money what would you do???

You have a few choices here, but none that will probably meet your criteria.

1. Buy two systems - one for stills, one for video. There are a number of very nice Olympus 4040 used systems around as people are upgrading upwards that can probably be had pretty cheap - and even a new system for a 5050 or a 5060 will still leave you with enough money for a reasonable video setup (which I will let the more knowledgable spec out for you).

2. Buy a really nice video setup and deal with the lower quality stills. You may get lucky, but they wont be the quality you would probably feel is acceptable for framed prints.

3. Buy a really nice still setup - I would 95% likely go with the Canon Digital Rebel (or whatever they call it in your part of the world) and either an Ikelite housing or wait for the Aquatica one and then buy at least one nice strobe either an Ike DS125 or an INON 220... Hmmm... Lets see that is all your money right there... I'd probably spend some extra cash and get two strobes :)

I'm a still guy, so I'd be going #3 'cause I don't like shooting video. Your milage will obviously vary.

M

I would pick one or the other. You're not really going to get the best of either worlds if you try to do them both.. you're going to get average quality on both.

If you go video, I'd go with the JVC HD-10 camera and the The Ikelite CyberMarine Video Housing. This is an excellent camera that has good low light capabilities and will last you for years since it is native 16:9 and HD. The picture quality of this is great for making DVDs.

Camera: $2,400
Housing: $1,500
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=&model_id=MDL101394

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/jvc_hd1.html

mjh:
Ok, the budget is about US$4000 for camera and housing. If I can get a great system for less even better. In a perfect world I want a camcorder that also can take decent stills, something I can get a decent 8x10 out of. My research shows right now the Sony 330 is about the only thing that fits the bill. But if this was YOUR money what would you do???

I would buy another one of those cheap disposable cameras, another HID for better lighting and spend the rest on a scooter. But hey, that's just me... :)

Just my 2 cents worth -

I would do as Dee suggested - get a good still for $1-!.5 k, and consider this for the video:

Sony PC100, and a 10Bar housing (Approx $900). That'll use up pretty much $4k.

I've seen and briefly used Sony with a 10Bar housing - quite respectable results.

If it were me...I would buy a nice little Canon or Olympus digicam setup that takes still and video, a strobe or two, and I would take my wife and I off to either Bonaire, Borneo or the Galapagos to use it with the rest of the money :D

Darn, seems the consensus is no “having your cake and eating it to” (never really got that saying, why would you have cake and not eat it???). Sounds like most people are shooting stills, why the preference for stills over video? Also, seems to be a lot of fans of Ikelite, what do you like about them, advantages over Gates?

Chippy I’m new to this, what is a DSLR rig?

Scubatooth, thanks for the info, I understand about 70%. I think the Sony 330 puts the stills on a Memory Stick, if that makes any difference. So given the info you provided what would you buy?

Anybody have an idea of when the new Aquatica housing is coming out? Are we talking months or weeks?

If I were to go stills, I’ve seen no one mention a Light and Motion set up with their ROC strobes, it looks good on paper, anyone using them. How do they compare to some of the rigs you’ve listed?

Questions, Questions, Questions….

mjh

a DSLR is a Digital SLR camera, its the digital version of film SLR camera, and then the rig is the housing for the camera with attachments or ports for various lens domes or for strobes

with still there isnt a whole lot of post editting work needed, unless you are trying to fix major problems, but with video you have to capture it, then edit, add music, etc, its just a long process to edit videos, and expensive the hardware and software needed are very expensive.

as for new products coming out unless the manufacture has stated a release date ait can be from weeks to many months , so best bet is to contact the manufacture to get the details

FWIW

Tooth

mjh:
Darn, seems the consensus is no “having your cake and eating it to” (never really got that saying, why would you have cake and not eat it???).

OK, here's how somebody explained that saying to me -- the expressions should be reversed. It should be: "eating your cake and having it too."

Once you eat your cake, you don't have it around to admire anymore.

Yeah, it still sounds silly. Never mind.

Hmm, $4000 is not really enough for a dSLR camera, I would think. The cheapest system that I know right now (but not neccessary the worse) would be Canon Digital Rebel and Ikelite housing for around $2000, 2 strobes and arms (say $1500, may be $1200 depends on what you get). That would leave about $800, after a big CF card, spare batteries, there is not much leftover. Unfortunately with dSLR, there will be more expenses on extra lens and port for the housing etc. Most people probably would want one wide angle, one macro 105mm and one 60mm lens which would require at least 2 ports so that would still be another $1000-$2000 may be more, depending on the lens you want!

Ok gave up on the video/still system idea after a lot of great input. As one person said “just make a slide show, burn it to a CD and make guest suffer thru that”. So going with stills. The new quandary is; I am on the cusp of being able to buy a DSLR system or a very nice “consumer system”.

Choices:

Nikon D100 or Canon Rebel 300
w/Ikelite or Aquatica or Sea&Sea housing
Can afford one strobe set up and only one basic lens for camera and housing.
Costs: about US$5200

OR

Olympus 5050
Light & Motion Tetra housing
Twin SY90 strobes, Wide&Macro Lenses, and Case
US$4500

(costs include camera)

I am strictly a hobbyist; want an easy to use system. Most of my diving is cold water with heavy dry gloves on, so no fine finger control. What do you think? Is a bare bones DSLR system worth an extra +$1000? Also who did you buy your system from? Who do you recommend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom