if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@kaylee_ann, I suspect I would have reacted as you did at 20 ... maybe at 40 ... probably not today, at 62 (but EVERYTHING is SOMETHING at 62!!). I'm hoping that @Duke Dive Medicine chimes in here.

A thought to consider. I'm not a doctor or scientist, but I have an interest in neuroscience, neuroplasticity and how the brain can rewire when there is an injury. I'm assuming that whatever injury you have experienced was at a site in the brain (essentially oxygen deprivation at a specific site). That said - if I'm correct - there is always the possibility that your brain will rewire to heal itself. My mom had 3 strokes within 6 months, and after the third one she was left paralyzed on her left side. She went into rehab and eventually regained full mobility - she never lost her fear of being unstable, but she was largely the same as prior to the strokes. This is my hope for you - that your brain will find a way to rewire itself to get your balance back. For some interesting reading - or to begin a trip down the rabbit hole of brain stuff - maybe pick up The Brain's Way of Healing and The Brain That Changes Itself, both by Norman Doidge.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you - and at such a young age. I'm a therapist so of course I'm going to recommend seeing a therapist to help you through this. It's a lot to carry alone, and friend's/family may only get you 'so far'. I wish you all the best.

Don't beat yourself up. Every diver and dive is different. Sometime you can get away with something on one dive, and the next dive you get bit in the butt doing the same thing. Also, some divers can get away with a lot more deviance than others, and there usually is not a good explanation as to why that is. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
yeah, the human body is quite a finicky thing. thank you :)

@kaylee_ann, I suspect I would have reacted as you did at 20 ... maybe at 40 ... probably not today, at 62 (but EVERYTHING is SOMETHING at 62!!). I'm hoping that @Duke Dive Medicine chimes in here.

A thought to consider. I'm not a doctor or scientist, but I have an interest in neuroscience, neuroplasticity and how the brain can rewire when there is an injury. I'm assuming that whatever injury you have experienced was at a site in the brain (essentially oxygen deprivation at a specific site). That said - if I'm correct - there is always the possibility that your brain will rewire to heal itself. My mom had 3 strokes within 6 months, and after the third one she was left paralyzed on her left side. She went into rehab and eventually regained full mobility - she never lost her fear of being unstable, but she was largely the same as prior to the strokes. This is my hope for you - that your brain will find a way to rewire itself to get your balance back. For some interesting reading - or to begin a trip down the rabbit hole of brain stuff - maybe pick up The Brain's Way of Healing and The Brain That Changes Itself, both by Norman Doidge.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you - and at such a young age. I'm a therapist so of course I'm going to recommend seeing a therapist to help you through this. It's a lot to carry alone, and friend's/family may only get you 'so far'. I wish you all the best.
ahh the old being invincible at a young age thing...lol we live and learn. and i hope so too. maybe i could do some activity that helps with balance, i don't know what yet. and so far i haven't really felt any emotions at all. i know logically how i feel but am numb. just kinda waiting for it to hit. i should probably see someone

thanks, now Iā€™m really just focusing on my education. thankfully I donā€™t have to be able to dive to be a dive medicine researcher
What an awesome attitude!! You are obviously a true "searcher" and even without SCUBA in your life you will excel and you will continue and you will contribute..... :cheers:

What an awesome attitude!! You are obviously a true "searcher" and even without SCUBA in your life you will excel and you will continue and you will contribute..... :cheers:
aww thank you. :) i was really looking forward to DAN's internship for dive research but you have to dive for it. so that's definitely hard because i really wanted to meet all the people there.

So so sorry to hear. Your enthusiasm as a new diver was infectious and inspiring to many I am sure. And a big THANK YOU for sharing your story; it will make many (including me) think twice should issues arise after the dive. I am sure there are many on this board who would have acted the same as you, given your depth and BT, so please don't beat yourself up.

So so sorry to hear. Your enthusiasm as a new diver was infectious and inspiring to many I am sure. And a big THANK YOU for sharing your story; it will make many (including me) think twice should issues arise after the dive. I am sure there are many on this board who would have acted the same as you, given your depth and BT, so please don't beat yourself up.
awww thank you, that's sweet. and i really really hope so-it's so easy to brush things off but it can be detrimental.
i was fully expecting to get ripped apart honestly because i've dealt with some AH people on here

haven't yet moved there but i'm in the Philly area more often than am home. at least a couple times a month.
my first thought was oh this sounds like the bends or something like that but reminded myself it was shallow. i have a tendency to be a worrywart. i didn't worry enough now, lol.

Please do follow up with the CT and see if you can get to the root issue.
  1. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
  2. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
Yes that is intentionally duplicated because there are two important meanings ... Diving and your well being in general!

I would think that DCS would be pretty tough on nothing but a shallow safety stop. But as you point out, our bodies are fickle.
I am neither a medical doctor nor a dive-physiology researcher, but in combination these two articles trigger "hmmmm..." thoughts:
Uncovering the Link Between PFO and Inner Ear DCS (Based on research from @Dr Simon Mitchell )

ETA: I don't know if PFO detection could be easily added to the same CT scan procedure (from technical and administrative perspectives)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom