Ikelite 8" Port Availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan:
Seems that Ikelite is all caught up, because we have them too.

In my experience, the optics of the 10.5 arel not noticeably different behind either the 6" or 8" ports. Fisheye lenses are incredibly tolerant of different dome ports.

The 8" Dome handles poorly underwater, w/ a pronounced backwards roll.

The 8" Port is better for over/under shots, as the water line will be less pronounced in the photograph.

If you plan to add a 12-24 later, the 8" port is noticeably better with that lens.

Thanks for the info. Since I'm using the Sigma 10-20 there is a slight softening around the edges with the 6" port. Nothing bad, but I think the 8” would make a difference here. I can see how there might be a handling problem since the housing and 8" dome are all acrylic. Did you try it with the weight installed in the tray? Just from the looks of it I doubt the weight would help much. In fact I think it may make things worse. The weight would need to be out close to the end of the dome to help. This is not a problem with my Aquatica F-100 set up. Since everything is Aluminum except the acrylic dome, and I use the aluminum dome shade, it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Perhaps if Ike added an Aluminum shade it may “help” a bit. Since I’m still undecided on how I’m going to house my D-200, this is great info for the Ikelite vs. Aquatica pro and con list.

Back
Top Bottom