Ikelite G10 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mullet Spearer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I purchased an Ikelite housing for my G10 but have some questions for other owners.
1. Did everything seem to fit lit a glove?
IE: on the on/off button on top, I added some paper in the plastic sleeve which covers the stainless push pin just to make it long enough to cut the camera on/off - otherwise it was too short.
2. I can't get the telephoto twist knob to meet up with the camera telephoto. It just seems to be too far spaced back. If I'm lucky it will sometimes engage and other times it will simply twist past it. Any suggestions? Is the foam too thick keeping it pushed back?
At this point I'm questioning whether I made the right decision with the housing.
On land the strobe (DS 51) works well.
Any suggestions?
GW

I had a similar experience with a G7 housing. I ended up sending it back and doing something different. Afterwards I learned that this is not at all unusual with some of their housings as their QA does not seem to catch some mfg issues. It should be sent back to Ikelite for tweaking/repair/replacement.

hmmm thats a bit worrying i just got my New G10 and im about to put down the money for a ikelite houseing which is a chunk of money for :)

i was really happy with the build quality of the canon standard houseings i have used in the past no problems with lineing up

anyone else have any similar experiances ?

maybe i should keep saving for patima or Fix 10 houseing :)

I bought an Ikelite housing for the G9. When I got it, one of the pins would not line up correctly, so it went back. I have had 3 canon housings with no problems. Others have had no problems at all with Ikelite housings.

I just got a G10 and Ikelite housing. Everything seems to work fine. Due to all of the controls on the G10 some of the buttons are very close to each other. The camera due to all of the fittings is a little more complicated to assemble.

I also had the same issue with my G7 Ike housing a few years ago. The buttons that were all close together were fine, but the on-off button rarely lined up, and either did the wheel on the back of the housing. I sent it back for them to fix it, which they managed to do about 50% of. It was a great housing (for a great camera), but the Canon housings just seem to fit better!

I'd be sending it back and asking them to fix it if I was in your case. If it comes back not working perfectly, ask for a replacement.

Out of curiosity, have the Patima and Sea Tool housings for the G10 come out?

I also had the same issue with my G7 Ike housing a few years ago. The buttons that were all close together were fine, but the on-off button rarely lined up, and either did the wheel on the back of the housing. I sent it back for them to fix it, which they managed to do about 50% of. It was a great housing (for a great camera), but the Canon housings just seem to fit better!

I'd be sending it back and asking them to fix it if I was in your case. If it comes back not working perfectly, ask for a replacement.

Out of curiosity, have the Patima and Sea Tool housings for the G10 come out?

I know that Patima has or will soon release their housing for the G10. Below a link to another thread that was posted regarding the Patima housing.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...-pdch-g10-housing-canon-powershot-g-10-a.html

R,
Maria

Hey,

I have the Canon G9 and the Canon UWH. It works great but is missing hte manual dial control. I need that button, but for 400$ differeence I can live with it. I lke manual mode better than Auto. So I hope you can get the IKE fixsed. If not get a Canon and live with the one less knob.

GL

Al

I finally was able to use the camera, housing and flash last Saturday @ Crystal River.
All went together well and it performed quite well.
Going to Cozumel this week on a cruise so it will be put to the test Saturday. But I think I will really like it.
Took some good photos of manatees considering the water clarity.

For the G10, be sure to check out the new Fisheye FIX G10 housing and the new Patima G10 housing. Although a bit pricier than the Ike housing, the quality, ergonomics compactness make them fantastic housings.

Back
Top Bottom