Ikelite Internal Wide Angle Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sample clip shot with an Ikelite housing, Ikelite Dome port, Ikelite filter for dome port, Canon HV10 camcoder, Raynox 5050 wide angle lens.

Dome port $230
Raynox 5050, .5x lens $110
Filter for Dome port $70

Vignetting only shows on PC file. Does not show when viewed on HDTV. For PC viewing, you can crop out the vignetting. UW zoom through with dome to approximately 50%. Lens can be used topside.

[vimeo]13982704[/vimeo]

I have an ikelike housing for my Sony HDR-HC3. PITA to white balance. I just covered part of my Volo-Mares fins with white duct tape for trip to Philippines next week - hope it works - I've practiced some

I MWB with the Ikelite Canon HV10. Not easy at first, but I have it down after a little practice. Makes a big difference.

Here is another sample clip with the WA lens. This one shows the advantages of MWB. Depth was about 60 feet. MWB set using the sand. Watch the colors of the butterfly fish, divers fins and divers legs.

[vimeo]13984513[/vimeo]

Last edited:
Thanks for the example, the Vignetting is a show stopper for me. This is why I will hold off on buying a land based UW video system (except for the low price GoPro type) for now. I'll wait till the interchangeable lense systems come out with a housing and large domeport for the native 16mm wideangle lens. The 16mm lens will not need a wideangle add on lens (Raynox or others) so the picture quality will be much better, more like the DSLRs are getting with a native 16mm lens.

SEL16F28 | 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Lens | Sony | Sony Style USA

Interchangeable Handycam Camcorders | Sony | Sony Style USA

Regards

I hear you about the vignetting. But for a $110 lens, I can excuse it. It does not show up on a HDTV which is my most critical viewing. For PC or internet viewing it's easy to crop it. The Raynox is listed as a .5x lens. So it becomes a .55x lens for PC/internet viewing if you crop it.

The new Sony cam with interchangeable lens looks great. Has pricing been released ? Curious to see how it compares to the DSLR's that shoot video. The Canon 5d, 7d and T2i are incredible for video, but you need time to setup the shot and shooting live action is not easy.

Last edited:
I hear you about the vignetting. But for a $110 lens, I can excuse it. It does not show up on a HDTV which is my most critical viewing. For PC or internet viewing it's easy to crop it. The Raynox is listed as a .5x lens. So it becomes a .55x lens for PC/internet viewing if you crop it.

The new Sony cam with interchangeable lens looks great. Has pricing been released ? Curious to see how it compares to the DSLR's that shoot video. The Canon 5d, 7d and T2i are incredible for video, but you need time to setup the shot and shooting live action is not easy.

Good idea!
Your Raynox lens is the way to go on this setup, price and quality beats the wet wide angle lense. Could you not zoom in a bit to cut out that vignetting? I am not sure if the vignetting is from the housing dome port or the Raynox lens. If from the dome you could move the camera to the right to cut out the vignetting, if from the Raynox, get the Raynox as close to the camera lens as possible (remove any filters between the camera and Raynox if any)

The Sony body is about $2000 (a much larger chip) and the 16mm lens is $250 (no Prosumer Cam can go this wide without adding an wide converter). My goal for U/W is to get the widest lens angle possible with the least amount of glass elements for the image to shoot through. It looks like a good land camera as well.

Regards

The vignette is from the Raynox lens. You could zoom in a little to get rid of it. There is a small 37mm to 37mm adapter that adds to the vignette, but I find the clarity of the picture better with the adapter on.

I'm having a lot of fun shooting topside video and photo with my T2i. I have a 11mm wide angle lens that is razor sharp. Sooner or later I will get it UW.

It will be interesting to see how long before Canon releases a camcorder than can use their photo lenses.

thanks for doing this Ronscuba. After going on my NC trip and having only 20-30' vis, I was wishing I had a WA lens. It is probably my next purchase, and I was looking at exactly what you tested. Although I love my camcorder, I am a bit annoyed with it at times underwater as a WA lens is needed, like when doing wreck dives.

robin:D

edit: nope, won't work at all with my camcorder inside the housing. I forgot that my lens sits so close to front port and has no room at all for an additional lens. I will have to go with the port/lens by Ikelite: http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/wp80port.html Looks like I am out $1000 if I want to go WA.

Last edited:
Hi Robin:

Not so fast. The standard port that comes with your housing gets switched out to a Ikelite dome port specifically made/sized for the Raynox 5050. You still use your standard port for non WA shooting. What size are the threads on your camcorder ? If it can accept the Raynox, you should be able to do what I did. I can lend you my port, lens and filter if you want to try it out.

I think you shoot a Canon HG20 or 21 ? Here is the link to the Ikelite page. It lists the internal Raynox combo. Pricing is in my 1st post.

Ikelite Housing for Canon Digital Video Cameras

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom