Ikelite PCa & Nmh recharcables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperrybap

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anybody out there running Nmh rechargeables in their
Ikelite PCa (the 6 AA model)?

If you are running rechargeables what type and what rating
are you using?

The reason I ask is because I tried to do this once and when I
flipped on the light, the bulb blew. It could have been coincedence
but at the cost of the bulbs I don't want to try it again to find out.

My concern is that
Nmh batteries have substantially more current capacity than
ordinary AA alkelines do. Since Ikelite is overdriving the bulb
they may depend on the voltage droop that AA batteries
normally do, to keep from blowing the bulb.

Any experiences with rechargeables in your PCa would be
greately appreciated.

--- bill

I'm pretty sure it was coincidence.

I've used Panasonic 1950mAhr NiMH batteries is two different PCa lights for the last couple of years. I have had to replace one bulb, but that was after a few 10's of hours of use.

Another diver reported having gas buildup problems when using NiMH in the PCa, and had pressure build up to the point where the cover came off (at least that is my recollection -- too lazy to search). So far, I've never noticed any problems along that line, but I do wait a while after charging batteries before I put them back into the light.

If you pop the batteries in right after charging and they are hot the voltage will be quite high and may burn out the light. Let them cool completely before use.

Discharging ANY rechargeable beyond it's "low" limit (0.8-1.0v) will cause H2 gas to form. As SOON as the light starts to dim with rechargeable batteries it's time to turn it off. This is particularily true with multiple batteries as one will always be the "weakest" and bad things happen when you continue to run with dead batteries.

I've been using NiMh batteries in other dive lights for years. The only problem is when the wife forgot to turn her's off once on a boat dive with difficult wave conditions. When she went to get it after the sit interval for the next dive it "exploded" and blew the head off across the boat. Interestingly all parts including the light, batteries, and threads on the head survived and it's still being used after a dive empty to check out the integrity.

So, it'll work, just cool the batteries before use and don't run the DEAD. The REAL meaning of "run them down" is to about 1.0v, normal operating voltage being 1.2v for most of the duration of use. The fall off from 1.2v to 1.0v is VERY rapid.

Fritz

Back
Top Bottom