I'm COLD!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alot of water movement doesn't sound like a semidry suit to me. I have Pennicle semidry. If I fold the seals in the legs and arms I end up with air pockets around my lower legs that plays havoc with my trim. So much so that I've concidered poking hole in the suit or go back to wearing a lycra suit under it. The suit doesn't seal with the lycra. This suit works for me here in Monterey to 49 degrees as long as I keep moving. I've been trying to shoot pictures and staying still gets me very cold. I have a drysuit I use now and the problems I have now is keeping it clean and oder free from the sweat.
Fred

Yo Kelpdiver-

Here's a fun trick. Buy a couple of rechargeable warmers that you can slip into your suit just before you jump in the water. You'll find them on the internet under "reusable hand warmers". If your suit back-zips, get the biggest you can find, because you won't be able to put in or replace it once your suit is zipped. I have used these things for years, and I love them. They are food grade sodium acetate ( clear liquid) in a plastic pouch, from pocket handwarmer size to bigger. There's a little goodie inside, looks like a dime. When you pinch it, a little grain of some catalyst comes out, the liquid goes white and milky, and heats up to about 120 degrees...and stays hot for about half an hour. I've talked to a chemist professor friend, and he says it is basically a saturated salt reaction. How you reverse the reaction (when it is done and cold), is throw the pouch in boiling water for 20 minutes, and it "reloads" (reverses and makes ready) the next reaction.

When I had a less than great wetsuit, I used to have my buddy put one of these things (a big one) around my small of back and zip me in. Jeez, I had to gear up and slam in to that water fast! It was like being in a hot bath, and so then was the water for most of the dive. That suit was classic farmer john and front zip jacket. So when I began to get cold toward the end of the dive, then hell I was cold anyway, so I zipped down my jacket, and put a pocket sized warmer into each armpit and zipped back up. Worked Great!

Now I dive an aqualung superstretch 7 mm back zip, with their hooded sleeveless vest underneath. It is a *really* comfortable suit, but once I'm below about 40 feet here on the CA Northcoast, I do feel the cold pressing in, especially from pelvis down. I can actually shiver, but with activity or closer to the surface, I warm right back up in it. I live with it. However, if someone could invent a thin little vest or unit that you could have under a wetsuit, say, battery powered in a sealed unit...Wow! Til then, I am considering just cramming one of my heaters from the hood's chin, down my neck, and having that wonderful little hot lump on my chest. I'll have to try this one. My buddy Eli got really cold one day, and I did that to him, but we were surface swimming to our dive spot. The water is 48 here. He got a fair amount of it down his neck with that warmer as I stuffed it in. He just about ran back to shore. But from a kayak, this would be cake. Or laying back, on the surface, you could pull out your chin and have your buddy just slip it down your neck without flooding you out. Hell the moment's cold would be even worth it. That is assuming you back-zip. If front, hey, just go for the armpit routine; keep 2 more in a pocket for later.

Good luck!
Peter

This is the start of your problems. I have had Jeff sell me more than one thing I didn't need during my diving career. I am done with that place.

Doesn't do any good Cody, dude seems to know more than anyone else here. On another note, just because a suit's retail price is higher does not mean the dealer will make more money off of it. A dealer normally makes a few hundred off a $4K scooter, I think they're making much more off a $2K drysuit.

Billy

SPkelpDiver,

I live and dive up on the North Coast where the water is 44 to 53 degrees year round.
I dove wet with off the rack suits when I was first certified, then got into as drysuit and it didn't fit my style of shore diving and doing a lot of hiking like we do. I have friends down there and have dove flat rock and Malaga (Rat Reef), I know the hikes. I know OML and about the new trail.

I went back to a wetsuit recently. I ordered a custom made skin-in suit from Don at M&B wetsuits in Long Beach. In fact I have two of them, one is a 7mm two piece beaver tail that I use up here in the summer and in LA for bugs. The other is a 12 mil 2 piece beaver tail that I use up here when it get's really cold. Between the two suits I've never been warmer.

Back
Top Bottom