Im done supporting my LDS (my money and I are gone)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really pretty simple-exceed customer expectations on every order and success will follow. Don't and you won't be in business long.

Curious what some would say about this case - a rental tank that didn't get used, because a hose blew on rental reg (from same place.) What should the shop charge for?

My LDS has trained both my kids from OW to Rescue, I've been with them from AOW to rescue and am now taking DM with them. Additionally I have bought every piece of dive gear we have from them, close to 3k worth. For this I get treated like family, invited to there private functions/parties, and I haven't paid for air or tanks since last October. Thats the way a LDS should treat you.

BTW, my LDS is closed on Sunday as well and just gives you the extra day on them.

If your ever in Tampa and need a LDS, I have a link to them in my SB profile.

On the other hand I know one dive shop I'm amazed is still open near me. You go in and mention a certifying agency and wham, they bash away. What it comes down to is like has been mentioned in preceding posts here. some people are better business people than others

Creed:
Sounds like you have a good LDS. Great. But crappy LDS's survive on exactly your attitude. There is NOTHING you can't do for yourself that an LDS can do. You can get regs online. Those same sources will rebuild them for you. You can either buy a small air compressor, or make buddies with your local fire department. People like Larry from scubatoys will answer damned near any question you can pose. The LDS has no claim on your money. If they can't provide good service, they don't deserve it. I'd like to run a DS someday, but I'll be damned if I am going to fleece my customers.

That's a bad move. Air that's just fine for the FD to breathe at 1 ATM, can be dumping significant contaminants into you at 2 or 3 or 4 ATM. This isn't to say that there isn't good FD air, only that there can easily be bad FD air that never causes problems for the firefighters.

It's easy to replace a crappy LDS with online vendors, it's impossible to replace a good one this way.

You can't go online and get a nice relaxing after-work boat dive with a bunch of friendly people, then have someone grill you great hotdogs and hamburgers afterwards.

You can't walk into an online shop and say "My reg was breating a little hard today, can you adjust it?" and get it back 5 minutes later.

Terry

Damselfish:
Curious what some would say about this case - a rental tank that didn't get used, because a hose blew on rental reg (from same place.) What should the shop charge for?
Refund all your money, and perhaps even give you credit or partial credit on another rental. My thinking as shop owner (if I was such a person) is that my gear screwed up your dive and I want you to know that I know you are disappointed with my gear, but I will do what I can because I want you to come back.

Web Monkey:
That's a bad move. Air that's just fine for the FD to breathe at 1 ATM, can be dumping significant contaminants into you at 2 or 3 or 4 ATM. This isn't to say that there isn't good FD air, only that there can easily be bad FD air that never causes problems for the firefighters.

So, ask for the latest air test results. If it doesn't meet the same standards as your LDS, then your only option is to buy. Or, offer to pay the difference for upgrading the filters. Who's going to argue with having cleaner air to breathe? Also, a lot of departments are upgrading equipment due to money coming in from DHS. You might be able to pick up a used compressor for cheap. Then, you know the filtration will be correct.
Right now, I have to make a 3 hour drive to have tanks filled. Given that reality, the moment I have enough for a compressor, it's going in my garage.

It's easy to replace a crappy LDS with online vendors, it's impossible to replace a good one this way.

You can't go online and get a nice relaxing after-work boat dive with a bunch of friendly people, then have someone grill you great hotdogs and hamburgers afterwards.

Agreed, as I said to begin with. If you have a good LDS, wonderful. Some of us don't have ANY LDS.

You can't walk into an online shop and say "My reg was breating a little hard today, can you adjust it?" and get it back 5 minutes later.

Terry

I can't do that with the DSs I use now, unless I call ahead and make sure the one guy I know is there.

Damselfish:

Nothing. It was their equipment that ruined your dive. It is situations like this that really cement a LDS/customer relationship. I believe that my LDS would work to make this right. I would expect him to offer a full refund but on the other side of the coin I don't think I would take the $$. He takes care of his rental equipment and it may have been something that happened through no fault of his. (if he didn't take care of his rental gear I wouldn't rent it). I am sure we could work out an arrangement to make us both happy, there are always future dive days.

Any store that has a rental policy that will not allow one to pickup an item and return it the NEXT business day for a one day rental charge is just screwing the customer.

Then to not take full tanks back for store credit is just bad business. Obvioulsy this LDS has not learned that treating a paying returning customer well is about the worst thing they can do from a marketing standpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom