I'm getting free equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambone79

Registered
Reaction score
Well...maybe. My boss's dive buddy is an engineer that runs his own business and he's having trouble with the computer network in his offices. He doesn't want to pay someone to come and fix the problem so he has offered me his old regulator, octopus, and pressure/depth gage if I will fix the problem!

This is great because I was already looking at getting a regulator and gages...I just purchased my first set of fins, mask, snorkel, and booties. Now all I need is a BC (might be buying my boss's old one since we are the same size) and I'll have my first full set of diving equipment (minus a tank).

Do you guys think I should go ahead and fix the computers and get the equipment? I'm not sure of the brand or anything, but my boss said it's pretty decent stuff for someone who is just getting into diving.

SURE! Why the hell not? If it sits collecting dust in your garage, you will know that you got it free- no harm no fowl, right?

Mazal Tov on your new stuff an use it in good health.

What do you chrge an hour?

For network work I run $50 and up. If the thing can be bought for less than the work would cost, you then have to ask is this going to be a working relationship or a one shot job.

Me personally, I am wiling to take a cut on an initial job if it loks to pay off in the long run.

How old is the gear he wants to give you? Rubber degrades over time. If he's willing to get it all serviced befor giving it to you sure, if he won't get it serviced it's most likely garbage. Remember your reg is your life suport system, but if your life isn't worth anything then take it as is.

What hardhat said is on the money. It must be serviced before your first dive. Things can and do go wrong. Last year there was an article published in lessons for life. The diver had his gear serviced, did a few (2 or 3) dives and then put it away for a couple of years. Did not have it serviced (suppose to service your gear every 12 months or 100 dives, which ever comes first) before he went diving. Drop of water had gotten into first stage creating rust. Rust caused o-ring to be cut to pieces. Diver had massive failure of 1st stage at 100 feet. Diver saved money on getting his gear serviced. His realitives then had to spend thousands on a funeral. But hey, what does he care, he's dead. But he did save $60.00 on a service!

Well, if you can get the equipment in exchange for work, I guess you should pay income tax on the value, but you probably won't - so you're getting a tax free barter.

Do be sure to have the reg totally serviced by an authorized Tech, along with the BCd if you get that.

While I am at this - 3 pieces of equipment I like to suggest than many miss: Safety Sausage, Storm Whistle, and 4 weight belt keepers even if your BCD is integrated.

DandyDon:
Well, if you can get the equipment in exchange for work, I guess you should pay income tax on the value, but you probably won't - so you're getting a tax free barter.

Do be sure to have the reg totally serviced by an authorized Tech, along with the BCd if you get that.

While I am at this - 3 pieces of equipment I like to suggest than many miss: Safety Sausage, Storm Whistle, and 4 weight belt keepers even if your BCD is integrated.

Why the weight belt keepers with an integrated BC?

I made out a couple of years ago, a friend of a friend called me up, said the guy was moving and wanted to get rid of his gear. Asked if I wanted it. Called guy up and he told me it would be sitting on the porch. I go over, 2 almost new regulators (Scubapro and a US Diver), both dressed out with HP gauges, depth and compasses, A BC, an 80 alum tank (still in hydro), a pony bottle, weight belt (bag type) with weights, couple of wrist-type compasses, two real nice bags, gloves, hood, a few other things. I asked his wife how much he wanted for the whole pile, she said they were moving to Texas and there was no diving there(?) so if I wanted it to just take it!!!!!!!!!!

Seabear70:
Why the weight belt keepers with an integrated BC?

You're a lot more experienced than I am. How many times have you seen a diver with an integrated BC lose a weight pocket, then have to use a weight belt on the next dive - with little or no experience of using one. And how many times have you seen divers using the cheaper web belts have their weight slip causing imblance, or even dropping them on the boat, on feet, or on divers below. Well, maybe you don't dive with the newbies I see?

Web belts are readily supplied by operators, but they never have keepers - as they cost money, people lose them, or they're just difficult to keep up with.

Yet keepers only cost $1 each, and divers can easily carry them in their bags, with spare fin straps, mask straps, etc.
:crafty:

I asked his wife how much he wanted for the whole pile, she said they were moving to Texas and there was no diving there(?) so if I wanted it to just take it!!!!!!!!!!

You cad! You owe that guy... :eyebrow:

hambone79:
Well...maybe. My boss's dive buddy is an engineer that runs his own business and he's having trouble with the computer network in his offices. He doesn't want to pay someone to come and fix the problem so he has offered me his old regulator, octopus, and pressure/depth gage if I will fix the problem!

This is great because I was already looking at getting a regulator and gages...I just purchased my first set of fins, mask, snorkel, and booties. Now all I need is a BC (might be buying my boss's old one since we are the same size) and I'll have my first full set of diving equipment (minus a tank).

Do you guys think I should go ahead and fix the computers and get the equipment? I'm not sure of the brand or anything, but my boss said it's pretty decent stuff for someone who is just getting into diving.

It depends on what the problems are, you could be there for months working on it depending on how bad it is, then you have to determine is 400 or 500 dollars worth of gear worth thousands of dollars worth of work.

Also is he going to expect you to buy parts if he needs them? That could add up real quick.

I do trade out a lot, but spell out everything beofr you begin, that way everyone walks away with a warm fuzzy fealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom