I'm interested in leading dive trips; how do I get started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In reading a contract with a large liveaboard fleet recently I noticed something interesting...

It basically said that if the boat was booked as a discounted group trip, that the group must have an appointed and identified leader, that the boat would only deal with that leader regarding issues, complaints, communication, etc, and that leader must have decision-making authority over the group.

So while you may not have considered yourself the leader, it's possible that the boat may have.

That's fine. However, none of that came up. The only "leadership" done was forwarding the payments en masse, no big deal.

I did not have to arrange anything else other than: "What date are we going?"; "Payment due this week"; and, "Do we want a group t-shirt?"

Far cry from organizing flights, ground transport, insurance, waivers, certifications, teaching classes, land tours, restaurants, hotels, dealing with individual "issues", etc. These were all adults and dive professionals who got on the island on the flights they booked, met at Splashers at the appointed time, got on the boat at the appointed time, dived their brains out, and left the island on flights they booked...all with no hand holding or "what do we do now?" concerns.

That's fine. However, none of that came up. The only "leadership" done was forwarding the payments en masse, no big deal.

Probably rare to have a problem with a group of friends traveling together. Might not be as clean if a trip leader is recruiting disparate strangers as a commercial enterprise.

As mentioned above, the OP needs to add some value to a trip. As a FIT (free independent traveler) why would I go on one of the OP's "ship of strangers" trip and underwrite his vacation when I can probably pay less if I book directly with the liveaboard. Worst case I'll pay exactly the same but have complete flexibility on dates/locations.

Probably rare to have a problem with a group of friends traveling together. Might not be as clean if a trip leader is recruiting disparate strangers as a commercial enterprise.

I did not pretend it to be otherwise.

One of the other things that can add value of another sort to a group trip for me is the simply the ability to get on certain very good liveaboards, typically Indo-Pacific, that seem to be mostly booked up years by groups. Especially at the best times of year. Sometimes practically the only way to get on these boats is to find out who's booked them when you want and crash someones group.

Better yet if you have booked a charter that is longer than usual, like 10-14 nights rather than 7. All the better if it involves a different itinerary of good places they can't make it to in the usual week.

Reactions: RJP
I'm only a master diver cert and have no experience in this but one day when I have the right experience I'd like to lead trips and I think the advice Bob posted earlier is spot on... work with your dive shop, go on a trip that they organize and shadow the leader learning the ins and outs. You may have to pay to go on the trip and experience this but in my opinion is the best way to learn. I'm sure if you are willing to bring in extra business to your dive shop and they get a small fee or something it may work out win win for all involved! Just my two cents from a relatively new diver who one day hopes to do the same.

Personally, I would probably be more apt to deal with an LDS which has a track record with trips and the ability to cover if the host DM was incapacitated for any reason.

I think a better course of action would be to work with/for the LDS to accomplish your goal. Write a business plan and withhold your contact list until you have a written deal. You may have to work for them so they can see if you are up to their standards, but business is about making money and it is a foolish entrepreneur that turns down a good deal.

A great idea is a lot easier to think of than it is to accomplish, especially if you have little experience taking care of all the details. OJT can kill a business quickly, a service business even faster.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom