I'm looking for a way to protect my webbing from chlorine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that whatever webbing DSS was using in 2006 is highly resistant to bleaching. One of my BPW's has probably 100 hours or more in pools and though a little faded, it's still black. Not brown by any means.

I have to say that whatever webbing DSS was using in 2006 is highly resistant to bleaching. One of my BPW's has probably 100 hours or more in pools and though a little faded, it's still black. Not brown by any means.
Jim, What about the wing you are using? It it equally impervious to the effects of chlorine? If so, what wing are you using?

Can't get it to you right now unless you want 1" webbing, but if you give me about 2 months and I'll have some

Sounds good! Start a list and put me on it!

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

Wet it with fresh water first. Last five times as long.
Good stuff, this is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for.

Sounds good! Start a list and put me on it!

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

Good stuff, this is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for.

Interesting......considering that fresh (potable) water can have the same and in some cases higher free and total chlorine than many public pools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since water with chlorine in it is mostly...water....what is the science behind the pre-soak?

Why are you replacing perfectly functional webbing just because it's a faded brown color?

as the owner of a pool store and an avid diver in pools I can tell ya first hand how to fix it and make your gear last longer... they sell a product online and at most swimming pool stores called clorine neutralizer (Sodium Thiosulfate) I mix about 4oz to a 32oz spray bottle of water and soak your gear with it immediately after exiting a pool...once Im home and done diving for the day I have a 100 gallon water bin with Sodium Thiosulfate and women's hair conditioner that ill dip it in again then hang it to dry...my first transpac lasted about a year before started to breakdown....if its starting to brown its not long before the fibers start to loose there strength and and breakdown...after using Sodium Thiosulfate for 3 years now my straps are still black and holding strong....hope this helps ya...BTW in my store I sell 2lbs for 10 bucks

ok, lots of misconception about the brown. I'm a textile engineer, I do this stuff for a living.

Nylon loses about 20% of its tensile strength when it is wet. Doesn't matter what it is wet with, but as soon as it absorbs water it loses considerable strength. It also is highly susceptible to acids and bases, after about 20-30 hours in a typical chlorine pool, it permanently loses about 20% of its strength when it is dry. The browning is the chlorine eating the dye that was used after processing in the nylon and means the chlorine has gotten inside the fibers themselves. By the time this happens, the nylon is less than 50% of its original strength. Now, the webbing used typically is mil-spec webbing that has a tensile strength of ~2300lbs when it is originally woven so there is plenty of room for error and you certainly won't have a piece of webbing fail if you pull on it. Cam bands tend to be the first to go, and sometimes if they used cheap thread, the stitching will go.

Chlorine neutralizer does help, but it has to be soaked in it for a bit and really have the neutralize moved around to get into the webbing, especially where it is sewed onto things.

Once this new webbing comes out, it won't matter what you're diving in, the webbing won't care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom