I'm new to diving and to Coz... planning a trip :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the posts!

Another question.. We are debating on renting a car for 1 day only. Is it worth it to buy Full Insurance and rent a car.... or just cab around the island?

Please keep the comments coming!

Very appreciative!

If your going to be renting a vehicle absolutely purchase the insurance. Your US policy will not cover you in MX. As far as Physical damage coverage. I would buy it as well. If you have an accident or damage to the vehicle your pretty much at fault b/c your not a local. Read the insurance contract as respects damage to the vehicle. Many have the ability to just charge your credit card for the repair. There are a number of places to rent vehciles and if your going to bum around and want to see the entire island its much cheaper doing that rather than taxi. One way to middle of town/square is 60 pesos or about six bucks for two from Fiesta Americana. Always, Always, tell them where your going and ask for the fare amount. If they wont give it to you or its more than you have been charged in the past, then barter. If they wont, then find another cab. If your going for the first time, you can find a taxi fare charges sheet. Sorry I dont have a link but it wont be hard to find. Have a great time in Coz.

remember......pay in USD get pesos as change, pay in pesos, pesos change. Best to have small bills or coins for cab fare. They often dont have change

Here ya go... http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/taxifares.php

Dan, so you prefer cabbing around the island then renting a car, buying insurance..etc?
Me Dan?

Oh I stay at the Caribe Blu close to town, have coffee & light breakfast in the room, lunch above the dive shop, dinner in town which is $8 round trip a day - eat sleep dive. I did take a cab to the ruins last time, after some negotiating: $40 RT, with lunch stop on the way, 2 or 3 hours there, and a stop on the way back - so no, I don't mess with rentals. Like GGunn suggested, it's a good idea at times - just not my times.

Hehe I drove from Playa del Carmen to the ferry dock to Holbox last week, later back to Cancun. What an experience. Should have hired that too.

Rent a car only if you are going out for the day. Use cabs otherwise. I recommend renting a car and seeing as much of the island as possible. The east side beach clubs are fun (some way more than others) and we really enjoy snorkeling at Punta Sur. Awesome reef a couple of hundred yards out. Always see turtles, rays, etc. If you stay close to town, walk. We stay at Coz Palace and never have to use a cab.

My gal found a good deal for Casita de Maya <--- good place? Good location?

You will be about 12 city blocks east of the town square in the heart of the local scene at this place. If you look at the map http://casitademaya.com/Area%20Map.htm the hotel is about where the cross island road intersects with the road dead ending at the airport. 65th which the hotel is on is a large busy boulevard that dead ends at the airport. Staying there I would not rent a car, Cozumel drivers a very different from those here in the states and there are many scooters around. You would have to drive with all the local traffic there. More of a chance on an accident.

First time to Cozumel is not the time to rent a car. Many things to learn and observe the traffic on the first trip.

Last edited:
Cozumel drivers a very different from those here in the states and there are many scooters around. You would have to drive with all the local traffic there. More of a chance on an accident.

First time to Cozumel is not the time to rent a car. Many things to learn and observe the traffic on the first trip.
OMG more than once last week I saw a family of 4 on a scooter at night...!

They each had on helments, maybe the 4 year old standing up on the seat between mom & dad, other kid behind - or maybe all 4 just lined up. I remember one couple with mom riding behind dad and the 1 year old held on her side over the street. They have gone scooter crazy. :11:

Be my luck that one of them would have a wreck just near me and I'd end up guilty until proven otherwise.

There isn't a beach near enough to town to walk to, so if a hotel or resort needs to have a beach then you will either be looking north of town, which cuts down on pier pick up opportunities by independant dive ops, or well south of town, but pier pick ups are easily arranged. Until you can narrow down some of your preferances I'll just suggest that you look at my photos of some of the hotels or resorts I have visited or stayed at to see what catches your eye, plus look at the maps to see where several are located if needed. Photos are here (scroll down a ways for the Cozumel albums)
Picasa Web Albums - Larry
And you might find a bit of other helpful info here in the intro.
Cozumel: General hotel and resort information - TripAdvisor

There isn't a beach near enough to town to walk to, so if a hotel or resort needs to have a beach then you will either be looking north of town, which cuts down on pier pick up opportunities by independant dive ops, or well south of town, but pier pick ups are easily arranged. Until you can narrow down some of your preferances I'll just suggest that you look at my photos of some of the hotels or resorts I have visited or stayed at to see what catches your eye, plus look at the maps to see where several are located if needed. Photos are here (scroll down a ways for the Cozumel albums)
Picasa Web Albums - Larry
And you might find a bit of other helpful info here in the intro.
Cozumel: General hotel and resort information - TripAdvisor
He didn't suggest a budget style did he? There are beaches close to town if one if not too picky - nice enough for me and in my cheaper-preferred style. BTW, "playa" translates to "beach" more or less. Playa Caletita is between the lighthouse and Blue Angel hotel and might have a snack bard. A larger beach is on the south side of Blue Angel/Stingray Discovery, between there and Villa Blanca. I'm not much on beaches really, but if I were - I'd pack a light weight, collapsible sixpack cooler for the trip, fill it with canned drinks from the store or maybe just my thermos bottle with Kool-Aid to take with me.

This is my preference for maps, well worth the $8 - get one now: http://www.cancunmap.com/
OMG, I remember one couple with mom riding behind dad and the 1 year old held on her side over the street. They have gone scooter crazy. :11:
No it was a family of 4 riding like that, too - sorta got a pic - and the kids did not have helmets...!

14wf7yc.jpg

Just a small correction for Loudives--------Casita de Maya is nowhere near the transversal road nor is it on 65th...........it is on 65bis which is a quiet street basically across from the airport and so the closest access road to get anywhere by car would actually be the airport boulevard, which has little traffic. Just in case that info was a deal breaker?......I've seen the place and it's quite cute......Betsy

Just a small correction for Loudives--------Casita de Maya is nowhere near the transversal road nor is it on 65th...........it is on 65bis which is a quiet street basically across from the airport and so the closest access road to get anywhere by car would actually be the airport boulevard, which has little traffic. Just in case that info was a deal breaker?......I've seen the place and it's quite cute......Betsy

Betsy is right. we are on 65bis and Blvd. Aeropuerto. Right next door to Smart rent a Car. Thanks Betsy for the clarification. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom