I'm new...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantab757

Reaction score
# of dives
ive never dived (dove?) before, but am interested in learning all i can, and want to get certified soon. any tips and tricks anyone can give me about diving would be much appreciated :)

Welcome aBoard. Just find yourself a good instructor and get diving.

Welcome to SB "dantab757"! It is exciting to hear of your interest in diving. I challenge you to get started right away! It helps to visit local dive shops and sort of interview them till you find a shop and Instructor you feel comfortable with. Ask for references and check them out. Don't let prices scare you off, it really is not any worse than golf.
But I will warn you diving is awesome and addictive. It can change your life if you let it! It encourages a healthy, active life style and meeting new divers is a blast! Check out your local dive club to find local diving spots as well as dive buddies. Feel free to ask questions here at SB, this is a great resource and it has served me well. So good luck and keep us posted on your progress! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Dantab757, Yes it's like a trial run.

Discover scuba, or resort courses vary greatly from location to location. Basically it involves a short training session; learning to breath from a regulator, getting used to the equipment, and some basic safety proceedures. Then the instructor will take you on an actual dive under close supervision and you get a chance to see what it's like. In places like Cozumel many operators will take their resort students on boat dives on the inner reefs like Paradiso, giving you a beautiful dive experience.

The problem with the resort course concept is that often students are taken beyond their comfort level, and experience various levels of apprehension, fear, or near panic. They don't enjoy the experience and are turned off to scuba by it.

Overall, when done well, by a good instructor gauging comfort level among other things, the resort course is a good way to get folks hooked on scuba. They should come with a warning label:

"WARNING, scuba has been shown to be highly addictive, and can have serious consequences to your financial well being".

The interesting thing about scuba is that seems to be one of the only addictions that nobody ever seems to want to kick.

The local dive shops here in Tucson have "Discover Scuba" sessions in their training pools. They're free, and let those curious get an idea of what it's like to use the equipment under safe conditions.

Austin doesn't look like it's much more than 100 miles from the Gulf. I'd venture a guess the dive shops in your town probably have training pools, and have the discover sessions in them rather than expecting those interested to drive close to an hour and a half to reach the beach. A quick Google search for "Scuba Austin Texas" yielded ten results (might be more in town or nearby). Check their webpages or give them a call and ask about "Discover Scuba" sessions.

Here is a good description of a "Discover Scuba" session from the local dive shop here in Tucson (long way from you, but I knew they had it on their web page). It'll give you a good idea of what to ask about.

I'm new, too (my wife and I start our course in September). I'm at the "checking out information on the web and magazines" to get a good idea of what things to look for and what things to avoid as we start to get equipped.

Hey.... im not a super duper experienced diver... but i thought i would let ya know... my first experiences werent so GREAT.... it does take some getting used to.... ALOT of new stuff....but for me..it wasnt a great time...esp in COLD COLD COLD water .... haha BUT i gave it a go again.... seeing as my dad is an instructor and I HAVE FALLEN In love... so i just wanna say if its scary or not as great as u thought at first... PLEASE give it a few more chances ! you will be happy you did !

The local dive shops here in Tucson have "Discover Scuba" sessions in their training pools. They're free, and let those curious get an idea of what it's like to use the equipment under safe conditions.

Austin doesn't look like it's much more than 100 miles from the Gulf. I'd venture a guess the dive shops in your town probably have training pools, and have the discover sessions in them rather than expecting those interested to drive close to an hour and a half to reach the beach. A quick Google search for "Scuba Austin Texas" yielded ten results (might be more in town or nearby). Check their webpages or give them a call and ask about "Discover Scuba" sessions.

Here is a good description of a "Discover Scuba" session from the local dive shop here in Tucson (long way from you, but I knew they had it on their web page). It'll give you a good idea of what to ask about.

I'm new, too (my wife and I start our course in September). I'm at the "checking out information on the web and magazines" to get a good idea of what things to look for and what things to avoid as we start to get equipped.

Yeah what he said!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

The best advice here is to go with it. You can do a discover scuba in a pool, but I would suggest you go into your closest local shop and talk with them. Discover scuba in a pool will let you at least feel what it is like to have the gear on under water. Good luck and go for it!

Back
Top Bottom