I'm not a quitter, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if that is the case, then I'm definitely a retard. I get 10% keepers in my land photography, where I make a reasonably tidy income from stock & direct image sales. Underwater, it is closer to 5%.

Vandit

Vandit.

Thank you, I guess I might have been a bit off on my guesstiment,LOL:rofl3:

But I think you are actully even closer to the correct ### as I know I shoot on average of 120-130 a dive and I MIGHT have 5-10 keepers, And sometimes I just junk-deleat them all!!:)

I took a underwater photography class where we learned how to change the settings on the camera for point and shoot shots. I'm sure the links that people provided explain what settings to pick, don't just use your auto settings since those are meant for land shots.

I did the class portion and was supposed to do a pool session also but we had some serious blizzards last year and my pool session was canceled. I went on my trip to Cozumel and used my digital with external strobe for the first time and my shots turned out pretty good. When I got back I finished the pool session and it definitely helps. A couple that works at our LDS created an artificial reef with fabric and stuffed animals and it was fun practice. My instructor also reiterated what another poster said, practice your focus on land by pressing the button half way down. I haven't done a lot of macro stuff but I've heard it's hard to switch between the two when your underwater so I would just pick one for the dive.

I took a underwater photography class where we learned how to change the settings on the camera for point and shoot shots. I'm sure the links that people provided explain what settings to pick, don't just use your auto settings since those are meant for land shots.

I did the class portion and was supposed to do a pool session also but we had some serious blizzards last year and my pool session was canceled. I went on my trip to Cozumel and used my digital with external strobe for the first time and my shots turned out pretty good. When I got back I finished the pool session and it definitely helps. A couple that works at our LDS created an artificial reef with fabric and stuffed animals and it was fun practice. My instructor also reiterated what another poster said, practice your focus on land by pressing the button half way down. I haven't done a lot of macro stuff but I've heard it's hard to switch between the two when your underwater so I would just pick one for the dive.

Bumblebee.

Great post and great advice!!

I wonder what camera you are useing as some point and shoot as well as many full feature cameras are actully not to bad to switch from wide angle to macro and visa versa.

It really all depends on the camera, I have been using till recently a Canon PRO-1 (full feature) And with it you can switch from one to the othere with just a flip of the switch, though you then need to change your setting of course.

Example ... if I am shooting wide angle at F5.4 and shutter speed of 1/25 and then switch to macro I would then change my setting to say F8 and shutter speed of 1/60.

UM... hope you understand where I am going with this.

I am now shooting a 400d xti Canon DSLR and swithcing is now a big issue as I would need to change my lens and cant underwater.

That is the big differance from a p/s or full feature compared to a DSLR.

I used PS cameras for a while (the ReefMaster DC310, CoolPix5100) frankly I got tired of shutter lag and focus issues (too many fish butts.) I bit the bullet and got the Canon 20D with Ikelite housing and dual DS 51 strobes. Strobe angle is critical as is the use of diffusers (that white thing that was over the strobe lens when you took it from the box is the diffuser) the diffuser helps prevent backscatter I use mine in low viz. Also, I have found the use of circular polarizers can also help with backscatter, you set it on the surface to deliver max reduction in reflection, then (and this is critical) turn it 90 degrees out from that setting (light is polarized differently in water than air) that way the diffuser diffuses the light from the strobe so the backscatter is "omnidirectional" instead of back at you 100% and the polarizer chops out everything but the back at you light.

Anyway, the DSLR has minimal shutter lag (5 shots or so per second) I shoot both raw and jpeg and my keep ratio is probably a bit higher than 10% but to be honest I never really counted. I actually started using a Nikonos IV or a Sea and Sea Motormarine II 35mm so when you are limited to a max of 36 shots for the whole dive you tend to unconsciously discriminate your shots more, even when "liberated" by digital.

Mike

Anyway, the DSLR has minimal shutter lag (5 shots or so per second) I shoot both raw and jpeg and my keep ratio is probably a bit higher than 10% but to be honest I never really counted. I actually started using a Nikonos IV or a Sea and Sea Motormarine II 35mm so when you are limited to a max of 36 shots for the whole dive you tend to unconsciously discriminate your shots more, even when "liberated" by digital.

Mike

Yeah sure, many folks like a DSLR... but I like something with a little more shutter lag and a nice, slow focusing lens. That's why I shoot a 5050. With my 5050 I'm not just taking a picture of a fish, I'm taking a picture of what a fish is about to do.

Granted, if someone were to give me a housed DSLR, perhaps as a gift, or as a token of their appreciation for my numerous helpful and entertaining contributions, I might find the instantanious shutter and speedy focusing considerably more tolerable.

My Sea&Sea DX-1G is a very fast shutter. There is almost no lag between when I push the shutter and the picture is taken. What I see in LCD screen is what I get a picture of. I don't have to lead the fish. That is one reason that I like the Sea&Sea cameras. The other is the cost. My daughter has a DSLR in a housing and that cost her BIG bucks!!!

Just my thoughts.

Bill

Bumblebee.

Great post and great advice!!

I wonder what camera you are using as some point and shoot as well as many full feature cameras are actually not to bad to switch from wide angle to macro and visa versa.

Thanks Jim. I have the Sea&Sea 8000G and the YS-27DX Strobe. It's a decent enough P&S for my first underwater digital, price range I want to say was about $1500. I'm headed off the Belize on the Nekton Pilot this week so I'll have lots of photos come the New Year! I took close to 350 photos on my last dive trip. I'm going to try to really work on my strobe angling and macro shooting on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom