I'm too fat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael_Lambert:
what about not being able to Certify in the backplate? i am certifying through SSI

It's shop preference. Our shop certifies OW students in backplates all the time ... both SSI and NAUI. So did the previous two shops I was affiliated with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jarrett:
The Zeagle at your LDS is over a grand??

Well ... that WOULD explain why they don't want to put him in a backplate ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Michael_Lambert:
Originally Posted by
what about not being able to Certify in the backplate? i am certifying through SSI

I think that they should certify you in whatever gear that you will be purchasing as long as it is quality, if not find another shop. I don't think SSI has a problem with BPs, it must be your LDS

If you expect to wear a dry suit, you will find a BP/W setup even more appealing. A stainless plate will put quite a bit of wt off your belt & onto your back.

You should be able to buy a BP/W setup for about the same cost as a quality BC.

Michael_Lambert:
is a Backplate setup.. that much cheaper than a BCD..

Probably not (especially if you add an integrated weight system). Except that because you require a custom BC and may require it to shrink, a backplate system may be a better choice for you. They are basically all custom sized.

Michael_Lambert:
Being the size i am, i think i would benifit from weight on my back instead of fighting with a weight belt.

Zeagle Ranger LTD's have weight pockets front and back.

Check out Dive Source in Bellville for comparison Canadian prices near you.
http://www.divesource.com/catalogue.html?catid=214

You might also want to talk to the Candyman (Dan) at DiveTech in Mallorytown. (www.divetech.ca). He usually has most anything you could want in stock and runs a no BS kind of store.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=102946

the thread above is from a co-worker of mine who just got certified a couple weeks ago. he had the same problems, hes a big boy. he ended up going with a dive rite bp/w setup that was very reasonable (right around $600 if i remember correctly) and he loves it. he got the weight pouches that attach to the harness belt. im sure you can email the link in his profile (dont think he checks the forum real often) or i can tell him to check this post if you have any questions. i do know that he said he has no complaints about the setup.

he was down to that option vs the zeagle custom and one of the local dive shops deals with dive rite and one of the instructors knows a lot about the gear. we dont have a local shop that is knowledgable about the zeagle gear so he was having to get the info over the phone and couldnt try anything on.

Forget all those expensive hobbies. They finally adopted the new international symbol for marriage:

marriage.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom