I'm too fat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
Forget all those expensive hobbies. They finally adopted the new international symbol for marriage:

marriage.jpg

Great now the wife will have that on the wall. Thanks a lot. :laughing:

Michael_Lambert:
Yea My LDS is able to order a XXL Zegal he recommended with the intergrated weigth system so i would not have issues with the Weight belts.. The only thing is that the Zegal is just over a grand i dont have :( i mean im doing the course next month, picking up my Personal items ( Mask/snrokel and fins ) they are costing me a couple hundred.. :( Geting married next sept.. So im not supose to be spending money.. atleast the thats what the wife says :)

So, I guess what i need to do is find a Local Shop who has somthing like that in stock or will bring it into stock that i can rent, I mean i will dive maybe 3-4 weekends over teh next couple of years.. with the wedding next year ( BUSY BUSY ) and not much time left in this year.. i dont want to go out and spend that money on the BCD when i really am hoping to drop a bunch of weight.

Which Zeagle are you looking at? The Concept II is a great BC and about $900 CDN.

Also, check out the Genesis line if you have someone that carries it out your way. They're a little less expensive and still very good BCDs.

Hey, maybe the wifey will buy you a Wedding Gift.... :D

Advice aside, I have to applaud the 6" reduction in waist. (Kudos) and the motivation to get up off your ***** and do something. Both my wife and I have been wrestling with middle age weight gain and it is sometimes hard to go out there with all these young hardbodies looking at you critically (even if it is in the imagination). As you have heard in this thread, there is usually a way to do what you love.

I like to run, lift, swim, and scuba but I am embarassed to take my shirt off in public. Back in the day, I spent some time at Cherry Point and came back ripped (soon after returning, I caught three of the neighborhood housewives ogling me painting the house shirtless - a privilege every man should get once in his life BTW :D ). I stopped regular PT and went to hell fast. It is really hard clawing your way back. Just got back into camping (cub scout leader for my son) and diving (with my wife and 13 year old) and feel 100% better already.

Keep up the good work!!

Yea i broke both my Knee's in a Platform diving accident, Hit both my knees on the way down... So i was laid up in two cast for 2 months and then in braces for another 6 followed by physio and a couple of scopes to ensure there was no carledge floating around.. All in All i was limited to the couch eatting fast food and watching tv :( Packed on about 80 pounds.. really freaky.. i mean you dont even notice it comming!..

So i lived a several years at this weight just because like you said too lazy to do anything about it.. Now.. i really need todrop it!!

My Goal is 250 for my wedding.. thats one year and about 90 pounds!! And i know that the diving will help alot! :)

Michael_Lambert:
Yea when i was in the shop, They fitted me for the Backplate setup and it was cheaper than the BC.. how ever they advised me that for the Open water cert i need to use a BCD? that i could not use the steel backplates, As the would prefer to see me use it as he said that they could add more plates increasing my weights there instead of on the belt?

Thanks
Michael
No offense, but that shop sounds as if they are clueless with the plate/wing rig. Being a short and a rotund guy myself the plate/wing set-up is not only more comfortable but I'm finding it to be extremely more practical for overall diving needs and wants. I've only had to make some comfort adjustments for D-ring placements which was no biggie really, its made the whole setup fit even better!

I'm in the "Big boy's" club as well... 6'2 / 330 lbs. :D

I work at Poseidon, in Sweden, and this is NOT intended to promote Poseidon products but just information to those that has a hard time finding equipment that fits.

When we developed the BeSea harness, I was the one they used to make sure that the harness would fit even "fully grown" divers... So you might want to check and see if a BeSea would fit you.
The BCD harness is also size adjustable, so you can use the same harness even if you loose 90 pounds.

I know they are a bit expensive over there and I know it's a wing model BCD, but it might be worth having a look at it.

Michael_Lambert:
Sorry the shop i prefer to deal with said that i would be good with a Back plate... It was another shop said i needed a BCD for my OW.. thats why i was trying tofind out?

I might have missed something, but is your LDS requiring you to purchase your own BCD or wing in order to take the class? I don't think that it's a good idea to commit to equipment until you know that you like to dive and that you have enough experience to understand what the different options for gear configuration mean.

That said, there is little doubt that a BP/W will be adjustable to fit you, and if you change your mind about diving, it will be something you can sell to any sized diver. Purchasing a "big man" sized BCD means that your ability to pass it on to someone else will be very limited.

Plus, if you successfully lose those 90 pounds, your expensive BCD might not fit you anymore, though you can just adjust the harness in a BP/W to fit your changing body.

Cameron

Thanks Camron,

Well the two shops i have spoken two said this,

Shop1 : They could make me up a rig to do the courses, Backplate setup.. as they would suggest that for me being the larger diver, i would find it more confortable, only thing is during the class dives in pool i may want to wear a wet suit for comfort, They advised me that they could get a BCD to fit me, but it would be a custom order from Zegal. So thats the shop i do plan on dealing with once i get the cert.. unfrotunetly i did not find this shop till it was too late.

Shop2, Said that they can't cert with a backplate, that using a BCD and a Backplate are two totally different ways to dive? but they said they have XL BCD's that they can use the Cumberbun extentions on so it will be Functionable but not pretty!.. and then they suggested that i buy my own BCD so i would be able to enjoy the hobby in comfort.

what i don't get is, I cant be the only large diver looking to rent!.. i mean i agree i dont want to spend $800 on a BCD only to have to go pay $500 next summer for a new one, But i want to be able to dive from now till then! So im sure im nto the only large diver, and these BCD's are avaible.. so i dont understand why they do not stock atleast one for this reason..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom