Importance of good fitting gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - thanks all for the great advice! I've been researching the different options online you suggested and hope to visit some shops soon. Ran across some videos for Zeagles....I don't think I would like not having a vest....it gives me that nice secure feeling when it hugs me fully inflated......unless the kids only come in pink!, I think I'll try those out first. Found a shop with Zeagles, but haven't found one that will let me try on in the water.....maybe some day I'll have enough confidence!

Thanks again!

Bearkely, I thought same thing about having a nice secure hug. The truth is my bp'w fits me more securely and it is much easier to stay afloat and surface swim than the jacket was. Oh and it doesn't rub my arm pits raw from all the shifting like the jacket did when I dove without a wetsuit.

Many folks will let you take a quick swim in their gear. Take some folks up in your area on an offer to let you look at their gear.

Another thing, you can't out grow a bp/w either in size or dive skill. It is very versatile. You can do shallow fish watching dives or go full tech.

As far as comfort, it is so much more comfortable than the jacket had. Do a search here on bp/w and you can get a good sense of what people think and then decide what is best for you.

Finally made it to the dive shop and tried on the Ranger, Zena and Luna. Although I really liked the fit and look of the Zena, I just couldn't get myself to invest in a back inflate without trying it in the water. Luna actually fit very well -- even smaller than the juniors! I found a brand new '09 on ebay for half the price so I went ahead and bought it (same price for renting a Luna for a couple of weeks to try it out!). I hope I did the right thing about buying on ebay --- should I have it checked out by a shop before using it to make sure it's not damaged? Guy is new on ebay, so I'm a little worried....

Also trying out henderson hyperstretch - I think I found something that fits! Thanks again!

Women's dive suits start at 5ft-5'2 (and they won't let me dive with my heels!)
Why won't they let you dive with your heels?

high-heeled_fins.jpg

Finally made it to the dive shop and tried on the Ranger, Zena and Luna. Although I really liked the fit and look of the Zena, I just couldn't get myself to invest in a back inflate without trying it in the water. Luna actually fit very well -- even smaller than the juniors! I found a brand new '09 on ebay for half the price so I went ahead and bought it (same price for renting a Luna for a couple of weeks to try it out!). I hope I did the right thing about buying on ebay --- should I have it checked out by a shop before using it to make sure it's not damaged? Guy is new on ebay, so I'm a little worried....

Also trying out henderson hyperstretch - I think I found something that fits! Thanks again!

Bearkeley, it's not necessary to have it checked out by a shop as long as you have a way to verify it holds air and the OPVs work. Put some air in it and stick it in a bucket of water to verify no leaks (look for air bubbles coming from the BC). Overinflate to check the OPVs. That should be good enough as long as the nylon in the actual harness/jacket is still in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom