importing a foreign species.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll call the pet shop today where I think I saw them at and ask what the deal is one bringing on over :wink:

I wouldn't do it. Hawaii has enough problems with invasive species. Disease free is not as guaranteed as it sounds. With shrimp for example, which have probably had many more dollars spent on disease research than pet shop turtles, there are new viruses popping up all the time within species from different areas. And these viruses infect other species of shrimp, as well as many other crustaceans. They can only identify an new virus if they have developed the PCR (polymeres chain reaction) test, which is done by culturing tissue from infected shrimp. (sort of) Your turtle may be free of known diseases only. NOt to sound mean, but I believe they need to draw a firm line there. It's been an ecological disaster so far.

Well, Hank, i cant exactly just bail on my pet like an old shoe. Its not invasive if it cannot propagate. I realize the importance of the PCR for new diseases, but in this case, they are about as important as PCR testing every person that travels. PCR is not done without background suspicion of a new disease or prevalence of an existing one. There are many animals that travel intercontinentally and have very few problems with the advent of mutation strains in, lets say, dogs. We cannot forget species specificity either. Hawaii has no local terrestrial reptiles so transmission from a host of one species to another is almost nonexistent. The only terrestrials there are at the zoo. I understand your concern, but if it was a real issue, im sure the dept of agriculture would have put it on the list.

The HI Dept of Ag has a prohibition on snapping turtles but not other specific reptiles. They do allow elk and llamas, so you could always glue some antlers or fur on your turtle and try to pass it off as one of them.
Or, you could always call them during the week at:
(808) 837-8092
I don't think the elk thing would work but the llama option is a definite maybe.

Tom Winters:
The HI Dept of Ag has a prohibition on snapping turtles but not other specific reptiles. They do allow elk and llamas, so you could always glue some antlers or fur on your turtle and try to pass it off as one of them.
Or, you could always call them during the week at:
(808) 837-8092
I don't think the elk thing would work but the llama option is a definite maybe.

I'll go get the superglue.

You're only bringing one. But maybe someone else has a female. PCR is done on species if it's economically viable or will affect an industry. I doubt it's cost effective to do intensive studies on pet shop turtles. My contention is this. If they let you do it, where do they draw the line? Everyone will have some reason for bringing in another animal. Are you sure that a virus in your turtle can't pass on to the wild sea turtles?
Anyway, that's my stand. I'd be a hard *** and say no to all. Good luck. Hank

They said we could bring our parrot and then changed their minds at the airport. We had all the paperwork and the vet check, paid all the fees. My kids cried loudly and they let us through. I kept saying at LAX, "well what do you want me to do?...take it outside and let it go??" People in line starting glaring at her, the kids started balling. About four months later my daughter rolled over on it and killed it. I told her not to snuggle and sleep with the bird.

I think I saw those at the Pet store in Hawaii Kai.

Back
Top Bottom