Improved stage bottle rigging, with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the point of the long spg hose?

Also having the cord of the bottom snap so close to the band will really crowd your dring and made managing bottles difficult.

@PfcAJ probably just a leftover and hasn't switched it to a shorty yet

@2airishuman AJ brings up a very good point. The longer leash on the DIR rigging is there so you can get multiple bottles on the same d-ring, and you can loop it back on itself to shorten it as needed. I wouldn't leave it quite so short

What's the point of the long spg hose?

That particular reg also serves as the reg for diving a tank backpack with no BC, so it has a longer SPG hose than would make sense for use only on a stage. I don't think the length creates a problem.

Great writeup and perfect timing for me, as I just bought an Al40 and need to make the stage rigging. A few questions:

Does anyone use dyneema line for this? It's as strong as steel, not particularly expensive, and doesn't stretch or degrade in marine environments. Either 7/64" or 1/8" (breaking strength around 2,000 lbs - before adding knots), plus it's easily spliced to make loops

For the loop that goes over the neck, I always wondered why nobody makes the loop longer and then wrap it one or more times around the tank neck so you can adjust the position of the upper bolt snap? I.e., larks foot knot around the tank neck instead of just draping the loop over the neck?

If I have time this weekend, this is one of my projects

Does anyone use dyneema line for this? It's as strong as steel, not particularly expensive, and doesn't stretch or degrade in marine environments. Either 7/64" or 1/8" (breaking strength around 2,000 lbs - before adding knots), plus it's easily spliced to make loops

In the event of entanglement it is important that the stage rigging can be cut. This is why some of the metal rigging in vogue years ago is no longer used. Since dyneema is difficult to cut, it would be a poor choice for stage rigging.

For the loop that goes over the neck, I always wondered why nobody makes the loop longer and then wrap it one or more times around the tank neck so you can adjust the position of the upper bolt snap? I.e., larks foot knot around the tank neck instead of just draping the loop over the neck?

Typically an adjustment in snap height would be smaller than the increment available by adding or removing a loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom