Improvised flash diffuser? Also, film speed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireRescueFL

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with some ideas? I have a cheapy SnapSights reusable camera that I got just to try my hand at photography. I took it to the Devil's Den spring in Williston and didn't have very good results with it. When I used the flash there was tons of backscatter and when I didn't use it, the pics were all too dark to even see. Would a piece of scotch tape over the flash inside the housing make things any better or would it make matters worse? Also, the camera came with 800 speed film. Should I try a slower speed?

I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place here. I finally convined my wife to try scuba out on our vacation (leaving tomorrow for the cruise) in Cozumel. She really hates being in the water because she believe's she is going to get eaten (damn Jaws films). Anyway, I would like to get some decent shots of her underwater since this may be my only chance to dive with her. I am told that our dive will be a maximum of 25 feet. I'm broke so I can't really spend too much money trying to get better photos.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

---Chris

Welcome to the board Chris.

The best option I have for you is to rent a real UW camera and strobe when you get to Coz. Many places rent MX-10s which do a fairly good job and are more or less point and shoot. Just remember to get close. Many dive ops will take pictures and/or video that you can buy. Another option is if someone else on your cruise is diving as well, they may would agree to take some for you. I often send pictures to others who were on the same dives but don't shoot UW. I shoot digital so it only cost a few dollars to send a CD to them. That is really your best option, UW photography is not as easy as is topside photography and it does take some time to get the hang of it. It could not hurt to ask, I am always happy to do it.
To be honest, while I understand your desire to take pictures, it may be a lot better for you to devote your attention to your wife. She MAY actually enjoy herself if she feels comfortable and having you close by her side would help a lot. Who knows, she may decide she likes diving after all, then you can hit her up for a new camera.....worked for me :)

Thanks for the reply Herman and I appreciate your advice. I think you're right. I'll see if I can get a rental when we get there and I'll definately stay close by her. I'm really just wanting to get 3 or 4 decents shots for the memory book. Other than that, I'm there to make it as comfortable for her as possible.

BTW, any advise on film speed?

Thanks again!
---Chris

herman:
Welcome to the board Chris.

The best option I have for you is to rent a real UW camera and strobe when you get to Coz. Many places rent MX-10s which do a fairly good job and are more or less point and shoot. Just remember to get close. Many dive ops will take pictures and/or video that you can buy. Another option is if someone else on your cruise is diving as well, they may would agree to take some for you. I often send pictures to others who were on the same dives but don't shoot UW. I shoot digital so it only cost a few dollars to send a CD to them. That is really your best option, UW photography is not as easy as is topside photography and it does take some time to get the hang of it. It could not hurt to ask, I am always happy to do it.
To be honest, while I understand your desire to take pictures, it may be a lot better for you to devote your attention to your wife. She MAY actually enjoy herself if she feels comfortable and having you close by her side would help a lot. Who knows, she may decide she likes diving after all, then you can hit her up for a new camera.....worked for me :)

good suggestion ...if you rent a real camera and do not know how to use it your results may not be what you want..either ask a photographer on the boat to perhaps send you some photos of her(buy them a few drinks) or see if the dive facility has a pro that accompanies the group and sells photos to you after the dive--that is what I use to do when I worked in St Thomas long ago..Still do on trips I run..

I had a lot of luck with 100 in the MX-10- it will only use 100 or 400. I found that Fuji film had brighter more, vivid colors but Kodak gave truer colors. Which is better is a matter of personal prefernece. I mixed the 2. If you want really good photos, a pro or at least someone experienced in UW photography is your best bet. You may also be able to rent digital cameras but I am not sure.
Here is a place for you to rent a camera or maybe they can help you find a pro if you like. If your boat docks at the southern docks, they are a short walk from the dock. Try sending them a email.
http://www.islacozumel.net/services/armando/

Unfortunately, right now there are no docks, southern or otherwise, for the cruise ships. And Holly & Armando's shop is closed (the hotel their shop is a part of is still closed after Wilma and isn't schedule to reopen until about May 15). HOWEVER, email them (photocozumel@ecozumel.net) and likely they'll be able to meet your ship's tender or at a specific location and get you set up. They're terrific and will make sure you know what you're doing with the camera for your best chance of those memory book pics :)

Hire a photographer? When I was in Cozumel, there was very nice guy shooting for National Geographic (I stalked him) and he told me a good diffuser (if your gets lost) for a regular strobe is a plastic cole slaw lid. --those opaque milky plastic covers for take-out food. I think it would not solve your problem because the backscatter problem might be more a function of the angle. Maybe you'll get 150 viz if you're lucky!
Another idea would be to approach an amateur on the boat (somebody like me) with a nice camera and ask them to do it and e-mail you the shot you want. Have a wonderful vacation together!

You know what else?....forget the flash. On a nice sunny day, shoot her shallow with natural light angling into her face. The best diver portraits I get are done this way.....I will find an example and post. the biggest thing is get the light angled on her (sun behind you) and shoot very shallow.

I am not positive about the second, but the first is natural light.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! We just got back from the trip and the diving was great. I really loved Grand Cayman and Cozumel was very nice as well. I brought my camera but, of course, since we only made one dive that day, the camera acted up and wouldn't advance the film. Fortunately, they had a photographer freediving down to take photos of everyone. So, we got two very good photos of us together! He was using a MX-10 with 100 speed and the YS40A strobe. At least that's what I was able to see of his equipment. He didn't speak any english and since I speak very, very little spanish, our conversation looked like a bird trying to talk to a dog.

Our trip payed off. My wife wants to take the full scuba course now. So, it looks like I may have a permanent dive buddy soon! Plus, she showed some interest last night in getting me a nice digital UW camera and some photo lessons. So, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it.

---Chris

Good to hear you had a good trip. The MX-10 is kind of hard to miss, bright yellow and the strobe looks like a yellow handle on the side of the camera with a flash on top. They still make good starter film cameras, I have put a lot of film through mine.
Now get your wife to a good instructor and YOU GO HOME. It is a law of nature that husbands can not teach their wifes anything and doom decends on those foolish enough to try. :)

Back
Top Bottom