In Kauai in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will have a 14yr old with me who will just be certified. Is this a good island for some very basic simple diving just to get her used to being in the water?

Perhaps some nice shallow dives with good viz and shore accessable perhaps?

Also curious to hear recommendations on WHICH side of the Island to stay. Right now we are looking at staying at the Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy. It is on the East Side of the Island.

Thanks guys!

Aloha from Kauai!

Just wanted to offer my help with any Kauai diving info that you may need. I am currently a DM/instructor here on the island and have been for a little over 12 years. I think you'll find a number of dive companies that are very professional here and more than happy to help you out. If you have specific questions at any point feel free to send me a "PM" and I can respond quickly.

The basics...

Summer diving on Kauai is great and offers lots of variety. The majority of the diving is on the south side of the island. Two full service shops(boat,shore,store etc..) run out of Poipu and one "boat only" out of Port Allen. There are about a half dozen smaller shore diving only operations. The shore diving will be done at two locations during the summer months 1)Tunnels Beach on the north shore and 2) Koloa Landing in Poipu (south). Tunnels is a topography dive primarily and though not much marine life is to be found - it is a very impressive lava tube tour. It also boasts one of the most beautiful backdrops for a shore dive you'll probably ever see. Koloa Landing is very critter intensive and a great spot for turtles, moray eels, lionfish, octopus and occasional frogfish and harlequin shrimp.

You are pretty much in the middle if you are staying on the east side and will find that you drive north or south every day more often than not. It is a small island though and you'll find drive times are not all that bad. As a side note if you would like to get any information on other activities, places to dine etc. just let me know. I'd be happy to help you out in any way possible.

I personally work for SeaSport Divers in Poipu but have worked with all three of the primary dive shops on the island. I maintain close relationships with both the owners of Fathom Five and Bubbles Below respectively so I can set you up with contact information for them as well.

As is the case with so many things - I think you'll find that it isn't finding the Business/Shop to go with, but rather the Instructor. Kauai has many GREAT instructors/DM's that have many years of experience. Regardless of who you choose to dive with always remember that you can request specific instructors you have heard about (or minimally request an experienced/patient etc. guide).

Well, great news to hear that you have a new dive buddy in the family! Always makes it more enjoyable. Sheraton Caverns is a must see dive here in Poipu for our amazing and abundant Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles!

Feel free to contact me as questions come up.

Have a great weekend and weeks ahead as you count down the days to Hawaii!

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

This posting is perfect timing since I'm also going to Kauai in July and just got my OW certification and will get AOW this month. We'll be there the week of the 18th and I'm looking forward to doing 3 days of diving. Based on the postings on this board, your company SeaSport is one of the highly recommended and we're staying at Koloa. I've been checking your website and I'm interested in both shore and boat dives. I'd like to book now so I would like your suggestions on which trips to take. It seems Koloa Landing and Sheraton Caverns are two most popular sites. Do you recommend at 2 or 3 mm wetsuit and is it ok to wear shorties? Is it best if I call your store to discuss this further? Thanks!!

- Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom